Colorado Emissions Testing

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Hey everybody...im moving to colorado in a couple months to go to college, in order for me to get a parking permit i am required to pass colorado state emissions testing...does anyone know what this entails for diesels? here in CA we dont have any tests and my truck is straight piped :D will i be ok? thanks in advance to the colorado chapter of the brotherhood! :hail

rthomas

Reaction score
cal. has no diesel e-test?? we've had the snap test in wa. for as long as i've had my truck

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's coming for CA.....right now its only the snap test if you set off the opacity sensors at the scales. Most PU's don't have to deal with the scales.

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
towcat said:
It's coming for CA.....right now its only the snap test if you set off the opacity sensors at the scales. Most PU's don't have to deal with the scales.

Lucky for me ;Sweet , no seriously though my pump is just turned up a little bit so i might be ok anyway...i will PM rob though so would turning on my propane system help or hamper me during testing? :confused:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
It’s glorified tax collecting. Just a way to get $55 per year out of ya.

Basically it’s a few variants on the snap test, but it is the 40mph snap test that these IDIs have trouble passing. Even if you can hardly roll coal now, when you move your truck 5400 ft closer to the sun you will see lots of smoke that wasn’t there before.

With your truck on a dyno, they hook up an opacity censor to your tail pipe. They bring it up to a 40mph cruising speed (in 4th gear if it’s a stick) and then mash the throttle to the floor. If you’re naturally aspirated you’re allowed max 40% opacity during this test, if you’re running a turbo (including aftermarket) you’re allowed 34%.

If the truck fails, you get one retest at a reduced rate of $35. So that gives you the chance to turn the fuel screw way down (internal and external) and bring it back for a retest.

Me? I don’t know who keeps doing it but someone keeps breaking into my truck every year and turning my fuel way up. :***: So every July I have to open up the IP and make sure nobody has changed my fuel rate. That way I can be sure she will pass with no trouble. :Sly

As far as the LP. I’ve never run grilling gas so I couldn’t say if it would hurt or help. Also I don’t know if there are any rules that say you can or can’t run it.

rthomas

Reaction score
rob-have you ever thought of making an adjustable bracket for your throttle cable so it slides fwd instead of having to adjust the pump twice a year?
i havent got to it yet, but our emissions guys here are pretty good at "helping you pass" when i did my last snap test the guy told me just to tap the gas instead of flooring it like i'm supposed too, i doubt i got over 1500 rpm on any of the snaps :Sly

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
rthomas said:
rob-have you ever thought of making an adjustable bracket for your throttle cable so it slides fwd instead of having to adjust the pump twice a year?
i havent got to it yet, but our emissions guys here are pretty good at "helping you pass" when i did my last snap test the guy told me just to tap the gas instead of flooring it like i'm supposed too, i doubt i got over 1500 rpm on any of the snaps :Sly

:D how would an adjustable throttle help with something thats noramlly adjusted inside the IP :confused: set me straight

rthomas

Reaction score
in a nutshell you would have less pedal to stand on, instead of lowering your max fuel at the pump you would keep the throttle from opening all the way, the only variable would be that the timing retard lever wouldnt be retarding at the same rate as it would when the screw was backed out- it would be retarding it less but i think that would be good for a e-test

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online