Emissions testing in Nashville area

Nathan Munn

Reaction score
I am currently in California and my 1986 6.9 idi is smog exempt. I am considering relocating to Franklin, Tn. It looks like I would have to pass emissions testing in Williamson county. Can anyone give me an idea of how stringent the test is? I do not have my fuel turned up to the extent that it is blowing black smog, but the exhaust is really strong smelling and I am in need of new valve guide covers so I do burn some oil. I still have the stock exhaust and it has some leaks and I would like to replace with a straight pipe. Should I expect problems passing emissions?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am several counties away from Williamson, but I don't think they do much of anything for trucks that old. I have more contacts in that area with old Mercedes diesel folks and no one has ever mentioned anything about emissions.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have no idea since there's no emissions testing at all in Kansas. I would like to point out that if your truck passes (or is smog exempt) in California, it should pass anywhere.

rhythim

Reaction score
It's just an opacity test at idle. If it's not visibly smoking at idle it'll pass no sweat. My '85 blew 0% last week, all stock with 221k on it. Buddy of mine works for the Metro Nashville/Davidson testing division and basically said they'll pass it unless it's rolling coal.

Seeing as you're from California it probably will seem reasonable, but if you're serious about Franklin it's just about the single most expensive place to live in the state. I'm a native and moved to Murfreesboro/Rutherford County when I graduated from college because I couldn't afford to live there without bunking with my folks. Property values there are insane compared to elsewhere in middle TN. I bought my 5.5 acres for about $30k/acre here, my folks sold their comparable 6 acres in Franklin for $120k/acre.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea but if he's in Cali, the highest middle TN prices we have will seem like chump change. The massive influx of people has certainly raised the rates. I won't make this about why people are leaving Cali in droves, but please remember if your coming here, help keep it the way that makes it a desirable location.There's a reason it's a great place to live, and it's not because of the weather.

As others have said, even eye watering haze at idle will pass the opacity test (if your not familiar its basically just a Lazer in a soup can that's held at your exhaust.) That only applies to diesel trucks pre-07 though, so your gas commuter or new diesel it'll be much more stringent. You may have to explain where the exhaust exits with stacks, but they've become much more common than back in the day when I had to help the techs figure it out.

How long that will matter anyway is another question seeing as how about a year ago the state legislation passed a bill to do away with testing as soon as the gov/ testing facility contract expires anyway. They did not announce how long the contracts extended at that time, so it could be years yet.They never like to give that info away.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Memphis/Shelby County quit testing everything a few years ago since it cost more to test than facilities was reimbursed. Couldn't make any money on it. Junkers everywhere on interstates & streets
Opacity test was only diesel test performed.

Nathan Munn

Reaction score
Thanks all for the feed back. I have no intention of bringing the bad parts of California to where ever I move. I have been mostly looking at Eastern Tennessee, my wife is the one that has been looking at Franklin and the Nashville area. We are planning on coming out and doing a trip across the state.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My nephew & family have moved to Franklin area 30+ years ago. They are in the music business and love the area. Historic also, very clean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online