Cold Starts

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s cold out, and with a lot of us in the south whose trucks don’t normally see these kind of temps figured we should post our cold starts in this thread.

I know there’s a few of us who like seeing them!!

Got down to 22* in Katy,TX at our place last night. Nothing like how it was in Alaska growing up with Dad’s 1985 6.9 that he ended up giving to me (and had it in the family for 20years)... but it’s colder for Texas.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
With new zd9 plugs a couple months ago and a manual glow plug push button, mine has been starting well around 20-25 degrees down south here, just a bit rougher; probably because I’m lacking the cold start sensor by the thermostat housing. It’s not connected because of a broken blade connector. I still haven’t been able to get it removed to install the new one I bought 8-10 months ago.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With new zd9 plugs a couple months ago and a manual glow plug push button, mine has been starting well around 20-25 degrees down south here, just a bit rougher; probably because I’m lacking the cold start sensor by the thermostat housing. It’s not connected because of a broken blade connector. I still haven’t been able to get it removed to install the new one I bought 8-10 months ago.

Mine doesn't work either. I installed a manual switch to take place of the sensor so I would have cold advance and fast idle, and didn't really see any difference except the high idle when cold. I ended up taking the switch off also.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think starting the truck off with high idle is that great, takes a few moments in the cold for that oil pressure to come up. I’m running 15w-40, even in Alaska we ran the old 15w-40 Delo oil.

I read here how one of the members waits a few seconds to see oil pressure then taps the throttle to activate high idle. My factory oil gauge started moving well before my mechanical gauge moved and they’re plumbed in off the same “T” fitting. Took my mechanical gauge about 3 seconds to start creeping up....maybe it’s because of the 5’ tube from the engine to the gauge? I don’t think that would slow a pressure reading down any though.

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s cold out, and with a lot of us in the south whose trucks don’t normally see these kind of temps figured we should post our cold starts in this thread.

I know there’s a few of us who like seeing them!!

Got down to 22* in Katy,TX at our place last night. Nothing like how it was in Alaska growing up with Dad’s 1985 6.9 that he ended up giving to me (and had it in the family for 20years)... but it’s colder for Texas.

Truck sounds a lot better!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry much about having the high idle engaged at start-up.
1. You aren't seeing that cold of temps to matter much. Unless you're running way past your oil change on a junk oil.
2. Do you know how many cars (yes, as in gas engines) go upwards of 1500 rpm at start up? Many of which going higher mileages than idi's. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. You aren't seeing that cold of temps to matter much. Unless you're running way past your oil change on a junk oil.
2. Do you know how many cars (yes, as in gas engines) go upwards of 1500 rpm at start up? Many of which going higher mileages than idi's. Lol

High idle on our big cat engines is 1250 rpms, a lot more iron being slung and over 350k miles, been run without oil by employees a few times too :eek:

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great points!! Just never noticed it until I installed after market gauges, lol

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recorded this yesterday morning. Hardly a "cold" start, it was only 45*F outside so the truck didn't sound like it was running on marbles. It's been 3 weeks since it was last driven so the batteries might have been a bit low, but regardless of that I think my starter is weak, so I'll probably be changing that out soon.