Cold start with new plugs and controller

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of ZD9 plugs go bad last year. I ordered all new glow plugs(ZD9). Installed them, replaced all the bullet ends while I was doing these repairs. I also replaced the glow plug controller at this time. Previous to these glow plugs going bad my truck would start at 10 degrees as soon as the wait to start light went off. Since then when the temperature gets below 40 degrees you have to let the truck keep cycling the glow plugs even after the light has turned off. This morning I went to start the truck when it was 12 degrees and it had been plugged in all night. I waited for the wait to start light to turn off and I had to crank the engine for a long time before it would start. I am at a loss as to what to check next. I had thought about installing the old glow plug relay and seeing how it responded.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the key off, do a continuity test at each of the bullet connectors, you may just have some bad crimps and the controller is only sensing a fraction of the plugs. What rpm does the engine crank at when cold starting?

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck idles fast until it warms up. 750 maybe. I will check the continuity of the connectors.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is a video of a start this morning in the single digits after setting for 3-4 hours.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it is hard to start after the block heater was running all night, something else besides your glow plugs is wrong.
The engine should jump to life without waiting to start if it has been plugged in all night.

Maybe air intrusion? Check for wet fuel return lines.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is air intrusion as big of a deal with an electric fuel pump. I installed one a few years ago.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get the truck in the shop in the next couple of days and check out the wiring harness and the return lines. I replaced all the return lines, orings and clamps about 5 years or so ago.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get the truck in the shop in the next couple of days and check out the wiring harness and the return lines. I replaced all the return lines, orings and clamps about 5 years or so ago.
Get your air intrusions fixed and get a check valve from thewespaul it holds pressure on your fuel system made a difference on my truck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance