Cold Front Self-Adhesive Snaps

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
My dad gave me the cold front off his '94 when he sold it. I need the self-adhesive snaps that you stick to the grill and I can't find them locally. I tried accessory shops, upholstery shops, you name it. Anyone know of a source online or otherwise? Or if anyone has any they'd like to sell? The front I have is made by FIA? Dad bought it from Ford years ago. It is black vinyl on the outside and blue on the inside. I can find the snaps that screw into the grill but I don't want to use that type. I need eight of them to mount the cover but I would like some extras.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trout,

FWIW I recently went through the same issue, I ended up at the fabric shop getting snaps to screw into the grill. I figured that the self adhesive ones were ugly when the winter front wasnt on, so whats the difference if there were screw in ones on the grill. I dont think anybody removes the self adhesive in the summer do they?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mel,

Can you get a hold of some the thin foam 3M stuff and use the snaps that you screw down by sticking them to the 3M then stick the 3M to grill? It's just a thought.

Me I would probably just go with the screw on types and call it a day, but knowing that you just painted the truck I can understand your hesitant to go blowing holes in the exterior or the truck. I guess I would be a little slow at that as well.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Mel,

Can you get a hold of some the thin foam 3M stuff and use the snaps that you screw down by sticking them to the 3M then stick the 3M to grill? It's just a thought.

Me I would probably just go with the screw on types and call it a day, but knowing that you just painted the truck I can understand your hesitant to go blowing holes in the exterior or the truck. I guess I would be a little slow at that as well.

I didn't think about making my own snaps, but I don't know if there is enough on the snaps to stick to the tape. I may just get some chrome or stainless snaps and be done with it. Dad has the bug screen in storage and I get that when he finds it. I've thought about the Lund grill inserts, too, I think those are around $40 for my truck. My other adversion is getting the pattern just so on the grill so it doesn't end up crooked. I hate that kind of stuff.:mad:

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Mel,
I think I remember seeing those snaps you are talking about at Camping World. When we were doing all the work to the popup I'm pretty sure I saw em there. Any big camping store will have em I would think. Just a thought.

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made four J hooks out of pipe strap and used pop rivets to fasten the snap to the pipe strap. Use a punch and anvil to flatten out the rivets. Then cover the pipe strap with some large heat shrink tubing. Snap the lower hooks onto the cover and the carefully slipped the hooks under the grill and hooked the back side of the grill. Then place the upper j hooks in place and snap the cover on. It worked for five Idaho winters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351