clutches

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
what are yall running for a clutch. i will be buying a new one here within the week. i cant decide between luk, south bend, and valair. i will be switching to single mass flywheel. just wanted to get your guys opinions first. thanks

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Luk here too. Got it used, though it looked new. Works great, way easy pedal compared to my brothers t-19. Three years now, feels new, and looks new by exam. from underneath.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have a 3 yr old Luk, I bought it new and besides the throw out bearing making noise, its worked perfectly.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Southbend on a factory 7.3 turbo/ZF5. Plow truck and dd with 2 yrs. on it. Holds better
than the original and engages like oem.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SOUTH BEND, built to last! i love this thing iam pritty shure it wont ever slip and its just as smooth as the stock! i love it

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another South Bend. It embarassed the stocker, which was slipping once the I upped the fuel. I just wish all these kits came with a grease-able throwout bearing. I will be getting another SBC for my F350 when I do the ZF5 swap as well.;Sweet

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be surprised if the ZF5 kit comes with a greaseable TOB. That would be valuable to know if it does.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there anyway to tell whether my clutch is a 11" or a 12"? Also has anybody tried the southbend kevlar hd clutch upgrade?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there anyway to tell whether my clutch is a 11" or a 12"? Also has anybody tried the southbend kevlar hd clutch upgrade?

I'm running their 12 inch Kevlar. It holds very well, but is a hair less user friendly as the stocker. But, I've never had any real issue with driving it and you adapt to it really easily.

Heath

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Valeo and it was all LUK parts in the box, 3 yrs works awesome.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Through my clutch search I have come up with the following, on a customer service note...

1) I Emailed south bend, and left them a voice mail, took a couple days and they responded with some of the information I requested... I still don't know what size clutch they are trying to sell me for $550 !

2) Clutch City in Florida has retured all my emails, and they sell a pretty nice kit, LuK 12.25" clutch, PP, flywheel, TOB, pilot bearing, bolts, etc... all for $595 with free shipping (and no sales tax on me here in CA)

3) Fort Wayne clutch will sell you a pieced together kit, with a Sachs flywheel, LuK disc, and Nammco PP and kevlar pilot for $500, plus shipping ($85 to me here in CA) This is their standard size clutch, standard duty 11"

For the money, I am going with the LuK kit from Clutch City... Plus they've been pretty helpful to me thus far... just my $.02 ;Sweet

I can get you all the part numbers for the parts I was quoted, if you like...

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Concerning south bend customer service... it was pretty good with me. Granted it was for my Cummins... but just calling up during regular hours- answered and answered questions that I had. The reservoir they sent me was cracked and they replaced it w/o me needing to send the old one back.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
i bought a valeo off ebay the 12.25 only have about 1000miles on it but it is very impressive over the stock set up. it holds great. i went with a kevlar pilot from ft wayne and a new slave. its like driving a new truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin