clutch woe's

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to town this morning to get a tire for my tractor. As I pressed my clutch peddle to pull into the tire store parking lot I heard a bam and the peddle went to the floor. I coasted to a stop out of the way and crawled under the truck to see what had happened. My clutch slave was dangling by its brake line. As I looked the parts over I saw that one side of the spring clip that holds the cylinder on the bracket was broken off. It's not a new break, from the looks of it I would think it has been broken for as long as I have had the truck.

Has anybody notice if they have a broken clip and do you think I can put it back on and be alright till I can get a new one?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I am always having to make do like that. There is always something that I can't afford or can't find when I need it so I improvise.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, I had that clip when I put the trans in, but it was flattened out and didn't really want to stay put. So, I just blew a self tapping Tek screw right through the clip and into the aluminum finger that it sits on. Hasn't fallen off yet...........

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up date. We had a break in the storms today so I was able to work on my truck. First I went around and price checked all of the parts store and ended up at O'Riellies. I found out that they have a price match and I was able to get their life time warranted clutch slave for $54.99. It"s a really cool unite that comes with a heat shield and a new spring clip! Easy install, I filled the cylinder with brake fluid and hooked it up to the line and clipped it in place.

The cylinder comes pre depressed with a slick little retainer that has a plastic cup with two straps that hook on either side and you unhook the straps after you install the unit. And leave it in place. The only thing that was time consuming was filling the cylinder. I think a syringe would be great for that job.

When you install the cylinder, be extra sure that the spring clip is completely seated. Ask me how I know.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a bushing kit from Ford for the peddle assembly Because I thought the peddles were flexing enough to cause the clutch to not disengage completely. It had gotten to the point that I had to kill the engine to put it in reveres. Now all of that is fixed, and I still have the bushing kit in its bag.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Up date. We had a break in the storms today so I was able to work on my truck. First I went around and price checked all of the parts store and ended up at O'Riellies. I found out that they have a price match and I was able to get their life time warranted clutch slave for $54.99. It"s a really cool unite that comes with a heat shield and a new spring clip! Easy install, I filled the cylinder with brake fluid and hooked it up to the line and clipped it in place.

The cylinder comes pre depressed with a slick little retainer that has a plastic cup with two straps that hook on either side and you unhook the straps after you install the unit. And leave it in place. The only thing that was time consuming was filling the cylinder. I think a syringe would be great for that job.

When you install the cylinder, be extra sure that the spring clip is completely seated. Ask me how I know.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a bushing kit from Ford for the peddle assembly Because I thought the peddles were flexing enough to cause the clutch to not disengage completely. It had gotten to the point that I had to kill the engine to put it in reveres. Now all of that is fixed, and I still have the bushing kit in its bag.

Good Deal:thumbsup: My slave cylinder basically grenaded.LOL I should have put the retaining spring in the spare parts bin.:rolleyes: