Clutch Hydraulics

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
So...back in February of 2019 I replaced the clutch master & slave cylinders with a prefilled 'kit', as well as the entire clutch pedal assembly (I think I posted pics here!). The 'mechanism' that captures the clutch pedal pushrod in the master cylinder gave out about a week after the 1-year warranty expired, so I ordered another.

Fast forward to today...the replacement kit I ordered has failed...AGAIN. In the same way. It was only installed in March, but after trying to negotiate the warranty return process at Rock Auto's website I've decided to just bite the bullet and order a better one (if one exists) from a different supplier.

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for a part that's not prone to failure in a few months? I can wait a bit, I have another vehicle to drive, but I REALLY rely on my F250 for work and life in general.

Link to failed part: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1404373&cc=1385445&jsn=615

Thanks for any and all input.

Cheers!
Dave

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
I've seen the heim joint modification, but that's not where my problem lies...as a matter of fact, the entire pedal mechanism was replaced with OEM parts about 10,000 miles ago. The "fingers" (for lack of a better word) in the master cylinder, which grip the end of the clutch pedal pushrod and hold it in place, are letting go, releasing the pushrod from it's place in the master cylinder. Of course, the clutch pedal then becomes high and hard to reach without banging a knee on the steering wheel!

Luckily, I got it home without having the pushrod lose it's place, so to speak, so when I did find the pedal, I could shove it back into the cylinder enough to disengage the clutch.

This seems to be a recurring manufacturing defect, and I'd really like to find a better supplier...anyone but Dorman, of course. Their junk is the cheapest crap on the planet (based on prior experience), and that seems to be what a lot of the online retailers are pushing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, now I see.
Maybe you need to clock the arm on the splines coming off the pedal shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe we could get someone else to take a measurement on there's and you could compare.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Meanwhile, I ordered the hydraulic kit from another supplier, manufactured by LuK (they seem to have a good rep in the clutch world). Shipped today, so hopefully I'll have it by next weekend...I have to do that sort of work at sunrise during the summer. It's 122* in the shade today at 3:30 PM!!!

At least, that's one way of knowing if it's the parts or something else, but I never had that sort of problem with the original (to me) one for 3 years until it developed a leak, and that's when I discovered the 'botched' heim joint mod that destroyed the old pedal assembly.

Time will tell...right now it's Friday night, and I hear a cold beer calling my name!

Cheers!
Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online