Clutch and flywheel dilemma

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've got a 1988 F250 extended cab, ZF-5, and the 7.3 NA diesel I purchased a couple of months ago. It needs a new clutch, and that's why I got it soooo cheap.

So, I yanked the t-case and tranny, and found that the clutch disc is severly worn, but the flywheel seems to have normal wear. I've been reading about these clutches, and mine still has a DMF, and had the 11" clutch. Doing the Lucky MOD and installing another 11" clutch wouldn't be a problem. But, I'm finding that most shops don't want to resurface the flywheel if I want to use a 12" clutch, and I don't think just putting a 12" clutch in with the flywheel worn down a little from the 11" is a good idea. So, is it really worth doing the Lucky MOD, and finding a shop to do the resurfacing, or should I just use an 11" clutch, do the MOD, and keep going? I do tow trailers, horses, hay, etc...., and I'm trying to save a little money while I'm at it.

Should I just dump the money into a new clutch and solid flywheel setup? Thanks for any input you can provide.

adelyser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've got a friend who has a business account with Napa, and can get the complete set for $460, solid flywheel and all. I think it's very well worth it to just get it over with the first time.