Replacing clutch and flywheel

AndrewLinderman

Reaction score
I have now pulled out my transmission out now and have a clutch and flywheel on the way. I am wondering if you guys have any tips for putting it all in to make it easier

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Bend the pinch weld near the top of the bell, transmission will go in a lot nicer. Also have the trans in gear, like 1st, it'll make it easier to align the splines of the input shaft with the friction disc. Otherwise it's pretty much reverse process of getting it out.

Also, if you have issues with the crank turning when torquing the flywheel, put a bolt in the outside area where the pressure plate bolts to, then a ratchet strap to something to prevent it from rotating.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I made two guide pins that go at the top of the bell housing and you slide the trans into them. The trans is picky with the angle and the splines lining up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Also have the trans in gear, like 1st, it'll make it easier to align the splines of the input shaft with the friction disc.
This is a very important step.
I made two guide pins that go at the top of the bell housing and you slide the trans into them.
I use two long "bolts" to help align the transmission and engine. One is a bolt, the other is a piece of 1/2" all thread with a nut welded to it. I just go a turn or two at the most. The all thread will go all the way in. I have a few bigger nots and washers for the bolt. As they get closer together, I'll back the bolt out and put another spacer on it. I do the same thing when putting an engine back in too. It's works fine, just go easy and if something doesn't seem right, back them off until you can figure out what's not right.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might help to add it is a 4wd and factory, is it better to install with t case on or off?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just stumbled across this thread again today.

I installed the FW and pressure plate today.
For the FW I cut the head off a longer bolt than one of the old FW bolts to use as a guide pin.
There are 8 holes drilled in the Crank, and a space not drilled.
Fly Wheel has 9 holes but one is a smaller hole that lines up with the blank one on the Crank.
In my case, the blank was at the 8 o`clock position, so 3 holes up was 12, and marked it with a sharpie. Screwed in my guide pin at 12.
My Wife helped me with the Floor Jack. Rolled it under the jacked up truck, placed the FW on the jack, and she raised it up, and after a lot of fiddling around got the pin and hole married together. then manhandled it to center it and threw in 3 of the FW Bolts to hold it.
Bought new Bolts from www.russrepair.com about $38, and come with red lock tight on them. I added a bit more, and torque them to 47 ft lbs.

The Pressure Plate did the same way with the Jack. Got the Disk and splined tool in the hole, but truck being jacked up wanted to tip back, as tool dipped down. Took quite a few tries to get the Plate lined up with the holes in the FW.
Finally got one bolt started to hold it (Yeah) then just a matter to work the plate around to find the other holes. Got 3 in, then replaced the old bolts with APR Bolts, and a dash of red Loc-tite. These torque to 25 ft lbs.
Just make sure you have the Spline tool lined up level before tightening the bolts.

To keep the FW from turning when torquing the bolts. I stuck a Phillips Screw Driver in one of the holes for the PP on the drivers side. As the the FW rotated, the SD made contact with a corner of the block. When done, remove the SD and no damage done.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck