Click here if you like talking about wires!

Ciulster

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm back after almost 5 years of absence! Got right done with waking up an hour early every morning to start the old 6.9IDI so I sold it for $500 after putting $2500 into it. The risk I took was calculated, but man am I bad at math! Decided I missed the diesel life though so I recently picked up a half-decent '92 W250 with a 5 speed in her, rust and wiring issues included free of charge of course!

Now all the other issues aren't really a big deal, I should have enough zip ties and duct tape to hold the U-joints together until I can afford some proper parts so I am starting with the small things. Filters, fluids, interior bits, electrical. That sort of thing.

So here's where it gets fun. I've pulled about 100 feet of wire out of the truck that wasn't even hooked up to anything anymore, I'm sure the previous owner was no electrician but my god, the stuff that's in it and actually still goes places and serves god knows what function.... yikes. Don't know if anyone has any spare wiring diagrams they can throw around to tide me over until I can get my hands on a proper Chilton manual or something along those lines, it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the most pressing electrical issues, the A/C clutch doesn't engage at all when I push the button. Haven't checked for voltage at the compressor yet but I'm thinking either something to do with a pressure switch, or the actual HVAC control panel up in the cab. Just hard to tell where to look when I can't even tell what connector feeds into what down there!

Also I have no dome light, checked for voltage across the two terminals and found nothing. I actually checked both terminals against ground and actually BOTH ends have 12V at them as compared to ground, causing no potential difference across the bulb. This 12v is constant even with the key out of the ignition. Anyone know even remotely where to start looking for either of these issues? I couldn't find anything with a couple searches on the forum and just want to start poking around before I go pulling the dash fully apart and chasing wires. Of course all fuses/fusible links/grounds have been checked and seem to be okay for the time being. It may also be worth noting that the door buzzer has either been pulled/blown up or the wires to it cut, and the map light works just fine. Don't know if those are tied into the same circuit as the dome light but is it possible something in the circuit has melted/rubbed through causing a short somewhere?

Ciulster

Reaction score
Yeah so this thing has turned out to be a can of worms and a half haha. Cut off one head and two more grow back in its place. Dome light just turned out to be poor grounds on the door light switches and having hot power to both sides of the bulb is a normal function. No A/C was just the low pressure cutout switch. Put a can of recharge up to the charge port and the compressor started turning over within 2 seconds of opening the can and she blows ice cold now!

Looks like the computer is dying though. I'm going through the process of eliminating and manual swapping what I can. Not having a charging alternator just because its cold outside and the PCM doesn't work until it warms up isn't cool.

As for buzzers, yes your truck had them and yes they are long gone. Most squarebody trucks no matter the brand had them, and they were the first thing to be ripped out by the oldtimer original owners because they are absolutely obnoxious. I only keep mine for the cool "retro" factor that I still have a working door buzzer lol.