clearcoating polished wheels?

JohnDeStef

addicted
Reaction score
The American Racing AR23s I got for my Classic have the clearcoating peeling already. :eek:
You must be registered for see images
... sorry, no pics of the damage.

The eBay seller I got them from will replace the set of 4 with any other American Racing or Eagle wheels. The AR23s have been discontinued. Turns out the Eagle series 194 are now available ;Sweet (they weren't when I was buying before).
You must be registered for see images
I like these alot better!!!

Since the 194s are polished, giving them a GOOD clearcoating or clear powdercoating would be the thing to do. Any recommendations???

TooMuchBoost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely do not put automotive clear on them because it will not stick and if it does it won't be long term! I can't think of it at the moment but it requires a special additive (formulated into the clear) for it to stick to bare metal. Another way is adding a mild acid which is why the clears tend to be 'yellow'. I forget what the ph is but that's neither here nor there. Trust me we make clears and primers for a living.

I'm not familiar with powder coat clear so I won't attempt to comment.

The last I heard was Spies Hecker years ago had a 'wheel' clear but it wouldn't shock me if they still did.

You can try a web search on wheel clear coat but I would take a lot of it with a grain of salt being the internet.

Wish I could help more.

Last edited:

tommyp

Reaction score
clearcoat

I think i saw a clearcoat in the eastwood cat? worth a look. por 15 has a clear for wheels