Clearance for tire chains

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the owners manual would say for tire chain placement on a 1993 F350 4x4 SRW 7.3L IDI? I am running M/S 285/75/16s. The place I ordered the chains from said I need an inch and a half of clearance. Could I run them on the front tires if needed?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not really wise to run them on the front, good way to tear up a differential. What does the door tag say for tire size and what kind of clearance do you have now?

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not really wise to run them on the front, good way to tear up a differential. What does the door tag say for tire size and what kind of clearance do you have now?

I’ll have to look at the door tag tomorrow but I know it was equipped with 235’s from the factory. I’m running 285’s.

I would only run them below 30mph, would that still harm the diff?

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you will tear them up is when you are really getting after it and the front in starts jumping. Seen it happen before.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have only run chains on the rear of my '93 F-250 - but a plow truck at work on icy days I ran chains on all four corners - 2007 F-350 - kept tight on the tire there was no interference. I can't imagine chains would damage the drive mechanically.

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to say under normal circumstances chains on the front more then likely will not be a problem. I personally just make it a practice to put them on the rear or all 4. Even been times of putting a chain on trailer because of slick road conditions.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to say under normal circumstances chains on the front more then likely will not be a problem. I personally just make it a practice to put them on the rear or all 4. Even been times of putting a chain on trailer because of slick road conditions.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

I was just worried about maybe it tearing into a brake line or something like that. I was just thinking to put them under that heavy motor but the rear is probably a better and easier way.

themechanicalford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only run chains on the rear of my '93 F-250 - but a plow truck at work on icy days I ran chains on all four corners - 2007 F-350 - kept tight on the tire there was no interference. I can't imagine chains would damage the drive mechanically.

I only have one set right now. I’ll probably just run them on the rear unless I wind up getting stuck or something.

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 86 F250 4x4 with the same tire size and I've run chains on all four wheels for years without any problems. But, I only use it for plowing snow.