cleaner diesel fuel 07

pauls painting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused: reading article in new 4 wheel & off-road mag , they are talking cleaner new improved diesel fuel.... what type of additive will we have to add then? is this fuel going to hurt my trusted idi? time to run bio only in old girl.. ;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest process to remove the sulfur also chemically alters the fuel resulting in lower lubricity. There are conflicting statements whether the lubricity is being addressed by the fuel manufacturers. My guess is that the newest engines are being designed to handle it, while older engines will suffer early parts wear and breakage.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
pretty much,our engines are dead.With such a decrees in lubricity I wouldn't expect even a year life span for an unprotected IP.This little trick is 2 fold.Yea it will make the diesel burn cleaner but the greenies also wanted it so it would kill off all the older vehicles.The Eco-nuts are pretty much open about wanting ALL older vehicles off the road.....and some like Al **** want ALL internal combustion engines distroyed(everything from Lawn mowers to Jets).

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
So do we double up on additives like Fred's or Power Service? I know I won't be able to replace this truck by '07 and it is supposed to be handed down to my daughter when she's in high school. She's only a third grader now.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
pretty much,our engines are dead.With such a decrees in lubricity I wouldn't expect even a year life span for an unprotected IP.This little trick is 2 fold.Yea it will make the diesel burn cleaner but the greenies also wanted it so it would kill off all the older vehicles.The Eco-nuts are pretty much open about wanting ALL older vehicles off the road.....and some like Al **** want ALL internal combustion engines distroyed(everything from Lawn mowers to Jets).

Don't forget that they define old as more than 5 years cookoo

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Best thing is find a place that sells a minimum of B5 diesel(5% biodiesel 95% petrol diesel blend).The higher the B number the better it is for our rigs.5% in todays 500PPM fuel more than doubles the lubricity factor.Or you could do like me and Travis.Make your own.Not hard.Just takes about 30 minutes per day with the exception of collecting and about a hour on the first day to filter and test for the amount of Lye needed.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This very issue came up on the Midnight Trucking Network this week. Biodiesel is what all the big rig drivers are talking about, for the reason that lubricity is there.

I think we're pretty much screwed as far as our trucks go. Pretty much, we're going to have to dose up on Stanadyne and use Bio.

I only tow 2-3 times a month tops, maybe 2000 total miles, and can't justify $35k or more for a new truck OR driving a dually to work every day. I'm planning on running my truck three more years, then will evaluate the purchase of something new that'll handle the new fuel better. Trying to get as much mileage as I can out of this truck and my '01 Chevy, then will part with both to get a new truck.

Hopefully this '91 will treat us right and give us 3 more years of good service so that we can afford a large downpayment on something new... or maybe we'll just get orders overseas at that point and won't need a vehicle at all for a few years...

Freight, I assume you're making 100% bio? Shouldn't take a whole lot per tank to get your lubricity up with the new ULSD, I'd think...

Last edited:

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'll be running heated WVO on long runs by then, and straight home made b100 arround town ;Sweet I'm gonna miss blowing #2 smoke in the face of environazies...frenchfry smoke dosn't count LOL

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
There was an article i read somewhere where the military did tests on their diesel engines with lowsulfur fuel. Out of like 30 engines they tested, 3/4 of them all failed with fuel system problems within 10,000 miles. :mad:

snatchal

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to burn waste motor oil as soon as it warms up outside.
Would adding 10-20% WMO to the new diesel make up for the loss of lubricity?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
snatchal said:
I'm gearing up to burn waste motor oil as soon as it warms up outside.
Would adding 10-20% WMO to the new diesel make up for the loss of lubricity?

Duknow, but it sure should take care of all that "cleaning up" of the fuel :rotflmao

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the reality of the situation, fellas?

If the military found that 75% of their engines failed within 10,000 miles of going to ULSD, I'm SURPRISED that we are allowing the EPA to screw us like this.

If our trucks, which we paid good money for, are not capable of running the new fuel we should be up in arms.

What's the real solution?

Freight_Train

Reaction score
It's really not the EPA but the Liberals up in Washington and around the nation that push for all these new Clean air feel good laws.maybe we should file suit against the actual people that signed passage of whatever act caused this for our repair bills and fuel additives.Hell,the same SOBs are doing just this trying to distroy the gun industry why not play by their rules for a change!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I too would also like to know, if the military has run those tests and found THAT type of failure, what are they planing to do to correct the lubrication issues on such a large scale. There are too many "older" diesel vehicles out there to just dump them and go.
I asked my local filling station today if/when they are going ULSD and was told they would notify us when it is switched over. Gotta love them mom & pops stops. ;Sweet
Gearing up for WMO mixing for the season.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Our Govener has allready signed a bill that requires a certain amount of Bio mixed with our fuel. I don't recall the mixture. But the Farmers are loving the idea.