Choosing a Starter

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DB is an offset reduction, OEM style is planetary.

I'm thrilled with my DB starter.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ (typ4) previously posted up a link to a DB starter that he has used and had good luck with. I had that link stored in my favorites if I need a starter in the future. The main thing to note about this starter is the "4kw" rating on the spec sheet. Definitely a higher rating than most starters out there. Thanks Russ for posting that up! DB customer service is pretty good from what I understand and they stand behind what they sell (but the starter is made in China just so ya know)
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8477-new-starter-ford-van-f-pickup-truck-73l-non-turbo-1994.aspx
I personally have a Powermaster 9050 in my truck and it has worked great for about three years now. That is saying something considering it sometimes has to start the truck when below zero without being plugged in during the day. The kw rating is not as high as the DB starter posted above, however. I would personally stay away from parts store rebuilds.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9050

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ (typ4) previously posted up a link to a DB starter that he has used and had good luck with. I had that link stored in my favorites if I need a starter in the future. The main thing to note about this starter is the "4kw" rating on the spec sheet. Definitely a higher rating than most starters out there. Thanks Russ for posting that up! DB customer service is pretty good from what I understand and they stand behind what they sell (but the starter is made in China just so ya know)
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8477-new-starter-ford-van-f-pickup-truck-73l-non-turbo-1994.aspx
I personally have a Powermaster 9050 in my truck and it has worked great for about three years now. That is saying something considering it sometimes has to start the truck when below zero without being plugged in during the day. The kw rating is not as high as the DB starter posted above, however. I would personally stay away from parts store rebuilds.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9050

Here's the thread where I posted up the starter link and datasheet last month...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70809-Killer-deal-on-NEW-starters!&highlight=killer+deal+starter

Looks like the starter may be a few bucks cheaper through their website, and shipping is free as well.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be a nag but I posted up the starter link and datasheet last month...
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70809-Killer-deal-on-NEW-starters!&highlight=killer+deal+starter

Looks like the starter may be a few bucks cheaper through their website, and shipping is free as well.

The link that Russ previously posted up and I had saved in my favorites (from a couple of years ago) is a different starter that DB offers, not the one in your other thread. I was just throwing that out there as another possibility for the OP, not necessarily the lowest cost starter. I try to give credit to members who have posted up information I think is beneficial (that is, if I can remember who it was- that isn't always easy :).

Black dawg

Reaction score
the db starter in your link is the mitsu (oe on 7.3 trucks) style gear reduction. They are good starters. The nippondenso starter is also very good, and very easy to change. That napa denso starter is 2 or 2.5 kw rated, and there has been a 4kw version on ebay lately.

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The link that Russ previously posted up and I had saved in my favorites (from a couple of years ago) is a different starter that DB offers, not the one in your other thread. I was just throwing that out there as another possibility for the OP, not necessarily the lowest cost starter. I try to give credit to members who have posted up information I think is beneficial (that is, if I can remember who it was- that isn't always easy :).

It was my bad for assuming a mix up, and assuming I was the first to post anything about the db starters. I edited my original post. Hadn't finished my morninh coffee yet lol

DB all the way for me! OP let us know what you pick and how it works out.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been very happy with my offset-gear DB starter and 3G alternator. Additionally, when I needed to return my alternator for a warranty claim, they sent out a replacement as I was taking the original one off and waived the 'must receive and assess the bad one before we ship the replacement' policy it states on their site.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they sell the factory mitchi remans at auto zone with lifetime warranty.
they don't seem to last more than a few years......but i can and do start my engine up to 50 times per day so.i drive in with my commercial trucks and they think nothing of it.hand me a new one and in 20 mins at no cost to me,she's good again.
only replaced it once so far but once in a very great while it wont properly engage.iv got to swap it again before it ruins a flywheel tooth or something.

Black dawg

Reaction score
they sell the factory mitchi remans at auto zone with lifetime warranty.
they don't seem to last more than a few years......but i can and do start my engine up to 50 times per day so.i drive in with my commercial trucks and they think nothing of it.hand me a new one and in 20 mins at no cost to me,she's good again.
only replaced it once so far but once in a very great while it wont properly engage.iv got to swap it again before it ruins a flywheel tooth or something.

You should give a denso a try, just putting on the nippondenso starter cured my every once in awhile grind, that my truck has ALWAYS had. I think they are better starters anyway.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i never have to buy another one though with the lifetime warranty.just 20 mins of time to change it when it fails.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i never have to buy another one though with the lifetime warranty.just 20 mins of time to change it when it fails.

I used to work at autozone a while back, at least at that time lifetime warranty meant you can only get a replacement once anytime during the lifetime of the vehicle, not multiple times fyi.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Advance does that, not Autozone..... that and part quality is one reason I quit using Advance..... I've had multiple items replaced more than once by Autozone.

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be sure to post up the final decision in the next couple of days.

Forgive my ignorance but but does the KW Rating mean??

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be sure to post up the final decision in the next couple of days.

Forgive my ignorance but but does the KW Rating mean??

Well, I am no electrical engineer, and I may expose my ignorance here by trying to answer this question, but here goes. The KW (kilowatt) rating is a rating of the "power" of an electric motor/it's ability to do work/how much current can it handle and use to turn electrical energy into mechanical energy. There are probably more elegant or more correct ways of explaining that and others feel free to do so - I certainly won't be insulted. 1 watt is equal to approx. 0.00134 horsepower (that number is actually really long to the right of the decimal point) and a kilowatt equals 1000 watts. So, if you take 4000 watts (4kw) and multiply by 0.00134 hp per watt equals 5.36 horsepower. Kind of gives you a way to compare power of the various motors. A whole bunch of other factors come in to play here such as continuous duty vs. intermittent use. Again, that is just my really simplified explanation and if anybody wants to, please feel free to correct me or add to the explanation to help us all understand it better. I hope that helps!