Checking differential gear oil level???

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet another question! I've noticed the bottom of my pan looks like it's seeping but no drips on the ground ever, just got around to looking at it and I don't see a fill hole anywhere in the front or on the rear pan??? There must be something I'm missing, 5T5 CA2 is stamped on the hub and my axle code on the door jamb is 39, truck build date of 03/85.

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it! Underneath bunch of oil/dirt, wasn't looking on the side of the housing just the rear, thanks once again!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We can buy rear covers from Ford that has the fill hole in them. I think they are around $75.00 and made from aluminum.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plus it's finned and higher capacity.
I recall the conclusion being that, while it is finned and will help keep the oil cooler, it does not hold any more oil than the stock ones. Did someone install one and find otherwise?

AFAIK if you want extra capacity, Mag-Hytec's really the only choice. I plan to do this at some point...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean LOL

I was really excited about the new OEM covers being finned and a much less expensive alternative to the Mag-Hytec, until I found out that the capacity isn't increased. I like the idea of extra capacity and cooling ability...