'85 6.9 DIESEL OIL LEVEL MEASUREMENT ON DIP STICK?

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
My 85 F350 6.9 diesel engine lost its oil dipstick so I can't measure the oil without getting under the truck and putting a backup dipstick down the hole in the block.
I have no idea if the original dipstick touches the bottom of the oil pan or not, but I push my backup dipstick in until it touches the bottom of the pan.
If someone can measure the oil level on their original dipstick in inches, then I can compare my level to that to see if my level is correct. My original dipstick tube won't stay in the oil hole in the block so when I push the backup dipstick through, it won't allow me to push the dipstick all the way in.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the original dip stick is mainly held in by a bracket on the valve cover and to some extent the o ring in the oil pan

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
@Austin86250
Thanks, but I already know that. My bracket won't allow me to hold the dipstick tube in the proper angle to keep it in the hole nor will it allow the tube to thread around the exhaust manifold without falling out. The O ring doesn't help. All I need is the measurement of the oil level on the original dipstick when it's at the full mark. Then I can guesstimate if my level is in the safe area. I want to avoid overfilling the engine.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Does anyone know if the 6.9 & 7.3 dipstick is the same length? Actual dipstick?

For now this may not help your situation. But next time you change oil..... What I did long ago was when I changed oil on my '94 Turboed 7.3 I put in 8 qts, started it then killed it let set to settle. Then dipped it, then scratched dip stick so I know where 8 qts was. Then added another qt, started it, killed it & settled. Dipped then scratched/marked dipstick for 9 qts. Then same for my 10-11 qts.
Also my dipstick tube isn't in original angle.

Back in the '70s while trucking sometimes in really cold weather, NW, Canada, Yukon, Alaska, I didn't want to/scared to kill the truck. I put mark of full & mark of low while running engine. I've never done that full marks on my 7.3

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 6.9 & 7.3 dipstick is the same length? Actual dipstick?

For now this may not help your situation. But next time you change oil..... What I did long ago was when I changed oil on my '94 Turboed 7.3 I put in 8 qts, started it then killed it let set to settle. Then dipped it, then scratched dip stick so I know where 8 qts was. Then added another qt, started it, killed it & settled. Dipped then scratched/marked dipstick for 9 qts. Then same for my 10-11 qts.
Also my dipstick tube isn't in original angle.

Back in the '70s while trucking sometimes in really cold weather, NW, Canada, Yukon, Alaska, I didn't want to/scared to kill the truck. I put mark of full & mark of low while running engine. I've never done that full marks on my 7.3
That's basically what I did with my wife's car. Put in what the engine called for, ran it a minute, let it settle, and made my own mark. Good call, ttman4!

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
My 85 F350 6.9 diesel engine lost its oil dipstick so I can't measure the oil without getting under the truck and putting a backup dipstick down the hole in the block.
I have no idea if the original dipstick touches the bottom of the oil pan or not, but I push my backup dipstick in until it touches the bottom of the pan.
If someone can measure the oil level on their original dipstick in inches, then I can compare my level to that to see if my level is correct. My original dipstick tube won't stay in the oil hole in the block so when I push the backup dipstick through, it won't allow me to push the dipstick all the way in.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Tonight I can measure how long the trucks dipstick is if that will help you.

I know it does not go to the bottom as I do not hear it hit or feel resistance. Also at 11qts or basically 3 gallons the oil level in the deep end would be at least 6 inches deep but the dipstick only reads about 4“ of oil level.

So likely your best bet is to as shared above change the oil and make a new dip stick. Dip it and then mark full.

So let me know if you would like me to measure the trucks dipstick.

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
thanks, guys for the good tips.
As soon as I can afford the oil for my truck
I'll use them.
Oil products, along with fuel have gone crazy.
All of us diesel owners are getting the shaft but good.