Cheap friggin china crap!! TOB

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i swapped from auto to manual, o got a parts store throw out bearing. Not even 20k and less than 1 year later it makes a horrid screech when pushing clutch in. and the one in my fox mustang is grumbling with the clutch out! Only about 20k on that one too! Arghhhh going OEM ONLY when i replace both.
Rant over, om going to bed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know its more expensive to go oem parts but what is your time worth. We all want a good value for the bucks... Finding that is somethimes very expensive cause we do the job twice.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I hate to ask a stupid question, but did the throwout bearing in question have a partially open area on the back side and if so did you grease it before installing it ?

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
mine just started doing the same thing and i even greased it like RLDSL said its a cheap one from the auto parts store. so now that im gonna have the trans out im just going to replace everything cutch,flywheel, throw out bearing and pilot bearing and be done with it im getting valair clutch from my buddys performance shop for $500 shipped

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess i should update. I dont know what happened, but i kicked the clutch a few times out of anger and havent had any issues since. the ignition cylinder was sticky, and i think it kept the starter engaged when i tried to depress the clutch, making funny noises. ah who knows..seems to be ok so far..last thing i want to do is pull that tranny again..im used to the little t5 in my mustang, zf5 is a beast in comparisOn.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I am working on my crap I do everything I can to cross parts to a brand name. I just rebuilt my Mercruiser outdrive - I could buy a China rebuild kit (seals, bearings) for $200 or Merc parts for $400. I took the time to cross the part numbers and found the OEM used all TIMKEN bearings. Summit racing had everything (same bearings are found in Chev diffs) and my total cost was $120. And this was for the original part used in the outdrive! Some of these were obsolete from merc :rolleyes:. Sometimes it pays to dig a little. The part you are buying is not always 'automotive' or 'marine' ($) in my case.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny when you dig how many parts are all the same. I typically try to buy "name brand" parts through rockauto if I have the time. I bought auto master plug wires for my dd locally for $36 because I wanted them same day. On rock auto the wires were 13 up to 40 and the oem denso set was 20. Who knows what manuf I actually installed.

I work for an oem manufacturer. We have a line of parts we buy domestic and some from china. Talking with our Chinese supplier they actually make the components for the us company. We never have quality issues with either manufacture so it wouldn't surprise me if they do come from the same place.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even Timken, SKF, and others have parts made in China. You have to look closely at the part if it's bearings, it's either marked on the box or laser printed on the bearing. Seems like China can't get their heat treating right. Hell, they make all the metal parts out of scrap iron we send them, they just melt it and don't give a **** what the composition of the metal is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726