Cheap diesel fuel ok?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cheapest diesel fuel around here is at a convenience store called Cumberland Farms. It's like $0.30/gal. cheaper.
I have heard people say that their gasoline is crappy and they don't buy it unless they have to, fwiw.
Would you buy here or pay more for Shell, Citgo, etc.?
Also, I've been adding Opti-Lube XPD to my fuel wherever I get it, fwiw.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you use a additive I wouldn’t be worried about anything but water

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If there gas is bad, diesel will only be worse, with more consequences.
You're taking a huge chance when you already know they're shady.
If it's a reputable company, maybe you will be reimbursed for any damages, but if not, it's most likely an umbrella company that can't be touched, then 30 cents won't be worth it.

Rock

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I only run fuel whether it's gas or diesel, out of stations that move a lot of fuel. I'm less likely to get old or contaminated fuel. These engines can run on some real bad stuff, but you're just reducing the life on parts, along with poor performance.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a very common chain store in New England. And it's in a busy area. And their prices are the cheapest around. Which should mean they move a lot of fuel so it should be "fresh"?
That was my theory anyway. But the question remains about the original quality of the fuel when they receive it.

The longest lines for fuel around here are at BJ's Wholesale Club. There's at least 20 cars in line every time I go by there. I don't have a membership and I don't know if they have diesel. I can't imagine waiting 1/2 hour + in line every time I get fuel. lol

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
280,000 miles on a 1993 7.3 IDI - I don't think I ever bought a bad batch of diesel. On trips I usually get fuel at truck stops - I look for low prices. Some fuel has more energy - in the 1980's New England had a few stations that sold "premium diesel" that did allow a higher speed while towing and better mileage. It had red dye - before the government started putting dye in heating oil and off road diesel. I didn't mind paying a little more for that. That premium diesel disappeared as quickly as it arrived.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I asked a few pump rebuilders once, who rebuild our pumps, along with vw Bosch pumps and old Cummins P pumps, they said as long as you're driving it regularly, and add a booster/cleaner, it'll be fine. Letting it sit will gum up the pumps.
So if you're driving a lot, I'd go for the cheaper stuff. If you aren't, I'd put more expensive fuel in it for the 'cleaner, less bio mixed' fuel

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Cheaper doesn't always mean more bio. We do have a fuel chain over here though that sells b50 and it's generally 30-50 cents cheaper than any other station.
As for bad fuel, could be contaminated, watered down, older fuel doesn't burn as well... That sort of thing.

Weldingman

Reaction score
Short of water in it, what would be "bad fuel"?
I would say old/stale. As far as what comes out of the refinery’s it’s all the same. It’s when the fuel gets pumped out of storage tanks and into the tanker trucks is when they put the additives. I can tell you first hand they all have their own blend of herbs and spices they put in and how much they put in. But as far as who refines it doesn’t make a difference. Your Shell, Cumberland Farms, Philips 66, etc all get filled up from the same truck rack and go to their respective fueling station.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So where does the bio blends get their mix then? We have a range of b5 to b50 here at some stations.

Weldingman

Reaction score
Bio can come from the same rack, they just have dedicated lines for it. Regular diesel can enter bio lines but bio can’t go into regular diesel. The bio lines and storage tanks all need to be insulated and heat traced.

Weldingman

Reaction score
The “bio” gets brought in by tank cars and then pumped thru the facility and blended with regular diesel in storage tanks to achieve whatever grade of bio they want.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheapest fuel Or most reasonable cost wise is the Arco in Minden, Nv. $4.04 cash. Think it is $4.14 when you charge it.

In Carson City, Nv. cheapest is $4.09 at the Sinclar
On north Carson St. (old 395).

Up in Fernley, Nv. they are $4.95. +. because of the high tax rate. There was a vote a while back to raise the tax. people shot it down, the City said up yours and threw on a $0.50 tax per gallon any way.

I`ll be up there tomorrow, and then heading back towards Reno. There Is a Love`s truck stop on the way, I`ll check the price and post it here.
they are usually high, with the amount of fuel they move, should be lower. Place should be called "Bend Overs".

All the fuel in this area comes from Calif, in pipe lines over the Sierra to the big Tank Farm in Sparks, Nv. Then dispersed from there, all the same fuel no mater what Tanker hauls it.

Fuel in Ca. is in the $6.00 range. :puke:

I have always bought fuel where it is the cheapest. Not just Diesel, but Gas also back when I got out of the Navy in 66. Think it was 30 or 32 Cents a gallon.

Goat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online