Cheap but handy f

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I was looking at the recent thread about the possibility of a leaking lift pump & the possibility of fuel in the oil. The post led to inspecting the rear of the engine for return line leaks etc. I should have posted this sooner.

I purchased a "5M Waterproof Tube Snake Endoscope USB Pipe Borescope " on E-bay for approx. $22.00. Its a camera on a 5 meter cord . The camera is about 3/8th in. diameter. I was looking for something to slide down my heat/AC ducts and also keep an eye on some Basil cell carcinoma's on the back of my shiny dome. It works great with my lap top I have inspected my Buick for leaks in places I couldn't get with a mirror and light. Oil filter header - rear of my Valve cover gaskets ,even used it to look in the bell housing of a tractor to check the distance of the clutch fingers from the throw out bearing.( a rebuilt 2 stage clutch that seems to act funny when the second stage is disengaged). You can even measure in un seen spots. I found that I needed to split it enough to turn the finger adjusting bolts 3/16 of an inch after it was opened up. This would have been difficult with out a jig to set it up with on a fixture. Thus way I split it just enough to reach in with a caliper and got it right the first time. Kinda like keith working thru the tail pipe (couldn't resist that sorry Keith). You need a lap top but I'm sure anyone serious about doing their own work will love this. You can even see through the fill plug of a differential,or into the oil filler to the valve cover. Look inside the radiator where you can't see through the cap. great under the dashboard to follow wires . Many uses for it.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Sounds really cool, oldmisterbill. I'm surprised that we IDI guys don't use something like this to look inside the block to check the condition of our cylinder liners.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be very handy for cyl wall conditions indeed!, dont kno GP diameter, but worst case, might be able to sneak it through injctor hole? or is the precup too small?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828