Chassis paint

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Oilburners,

This summer I'd like to scrape down the frame, axles, springs, etc. and paint them with the best rust-proof chassis paint I can get. My truck has seen 20 Maine winters :eek: and even though the PO did this once before, it's due again. There are 2 brands I've been looking at: POR 15 and Automotive Rust Bullet. I don't have any experience with this and would like to know if anyone could recommend either product (or a different one) and any tips.

Also, I've seen the post about spraying it all with used ATF or motor oil and then driving down dusty roads, but I'd prefer a cleaner alternative I don't really want all that gunk and grime underneath my truck.

All help is greatly appreciated! ;Sweet

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
POR is EXPENSIVE.
I'm looking to basically do the same thing (running gear on our show hitch wagon) and the paint shop had another brand that was less exhorbitant.. can't remember what it was called.. but your Rust Bullet is probably similar.

DON'T get this stuff on things you don't want it on..
ever read the thread on the PSN site about the guy that Herculiner on his unit?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Hammerite is a good product. People seem to either absolutely love or hate the finish though.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
I have used Por 15 on my truck and although their products are a bit expensive, I think they are well worth the money. :thumbsup:

4xMike

vehicle abuser
Reaction score

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
POR and eastwood stuff works...i have first hand experience with both of those....ive heard many success storys on rust bullet too

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
Im going to use the rustoleum bedliner on my frame

i would honestly rethink that....i used that stuff to just coat the top of the bed sides on a ranger i didnt care about and you could about scratch it with your fingernail.

you would be better off using rustoleum gloss black. actually anything textured is not a good idea on the underside of anything. it tends to collect dirt and not allow it to come off easily. where as a gloss type finish will allow stuff to wash off easily.