charging problems

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of shape are your batteries, wiring, etc? Some alternators have a wire that basically tells it to start charging and if its faulty or a faulty ground wire then you won't get anything out of it. I bought a car last year that had a bad head gasket. It looked like it had a brand new alternator on it. Well I fixed the head gasket but it wouldn't hold a charge. I noticed the plug on the alternator looked a little different. I found a wiring diagram and it needed a different wiring pigtail and I had to wire one of the wires to have voltage and then it started charging fine. Give as much info as you can there are a few people on here that really know their electronics and can surely help you with the right information.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Just for S&G's, go to a completely different parts store and get another voltage regulator. I was on my THIRD new one in three days before I got one that worked properly... Also, take apart all your connections, clean them and reassemble with NOALOX cream from Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc.. Run a new charge wire from the alt to the solenoid- a heavy one. Make double sure all three of your grounds are good... That's all that comes to mind at the moment- Good Luck!

pegleg

Reaction score
first let say thanks to one and all
well let start by saying the batteries are new, I'm useing the stock alt. checked the wires, one problem I found was the body shop used a 150 body when the truck was rebuilt (pass owner) and used part of the harness from both trucks, but I did pull the plugs apart cleaned them and removed the fuseable link from the line between the alt. and starter relay. I get it to charge a little, but not to 14.5 volts.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put your truck in your signature so we know what to have you do. also some of the modifications make a difference, 3g alt, leece neville, 8 extra batteries, you know stuff like that.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 8 extra battery mod :) If I could just put in a really good starter put the truck in gear and I have a redneck electric vehicle. Maybe get a tax credit. Ok so maybe I should quit watching the Red Green show?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I Was being a smartass. It is hard to diagnose without pertinent info.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online