Champion radiator cc1165.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a champion rad. It was a direct "bolt-in" & works great. Shipping damage was or maybe still is an issue. First one I received was damaged and they immediately replaced.

Reaction score
I installed the 3 row (CC1165), then the 4 row (MC1165). Nothing wrong with the 3 row, but I figured the extra capacity was worth it. Fairly simple install. More or less bolt-in, but i had to get new hardware to mount the fan shroud and elongate the holes on the shroud to raise it up enough that it wasn't resting on the lower hose. Pretty easy stuff.

If you have an automatic transmission and plan on using the built-in cooler, I have heard rumblings that the fittings aren't an exact match. Mine is a stick, so I don't have any experience.

Mike

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is slightly too narrow to sit on the pins on the bottom. Prolly dont matter since its much lighter than the original.

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep think I'm going with it. I have a manual do the plugs for the tranny cooler come plugged?.

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just inquired about an American made champion radiator. hope they reply soon :) not sure if I should get the 3 or 4 core though.

Reaction score
I just inquired about an American made champion radiator. hope they reply soon :) not sure if I should get the 3 or 4 core though.

At that price point for an all-aluminum tig-welded radiator, you know where they're making them. As for row count, I can tell you that 4 row isn't some gimmick. It uses the same size and qty core tubes as the 3 row, so you truly are adding cooling capacity by going for it.

Mike

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At that price point for an all-aluminum tig-welded radiator, you know where they're making them. As for row count, I can tell you that 4 row isn't some gimmick. It uses the same size and qty core tubes as the 3 row, so you truly are adding cooling capacity by going for it.

Mike
In the frequently asked questions click on the where are these made...
http://www.championradiators.com/FAQ#Section5
I do find it odd however that it's only a ten dollar difference...
"While our radiators are manufactured in China, hence the low price point, they are designed in the U.S. If an American made radiator is preferred instead, please call us for availability. There will be a price difference to accommodate the American labor being put into it. A standard 2-row is $169.98, and an American made 2-row with 1" tubes is $279.98"

Mr Clickety Clackety

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Jeff at ledfoot racing and he informed me that they no longer offer the American made radiators. He said there was only a small window where they offered them and they didn't sell.

I'm going to go down there and check it out anyways. seems like great customer service and a lifetime warrenty. was quoted under $300 for the four row.

A48WillyzGuy

Reaction score
I've had the 3 row for over two years now and haven't had any real issues. One of the bolt holes doesn't line up with my core support, so I've only got 3 bolts holding it in. I don't remember having an issue with the cooler lines (when I still had the E4OD), but the trans pre-heater line had the wrong fitting. I just deleted it. They come with a 16lb cap that I switched out for an 11lb one.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are made in China, as is almost everything nowadays unfortunately.
Having said that, I was impressed with build quality of these rads.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to bump a topic, but is it possible to mount these tall radiators in place of a short wide one?

I am thinking about making the switch, every time I look its the tall narrower radiator. I don't mind the switch if it gives me room on the sides, as long as it fits top to bottom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance