Ceramic Coating?

94IDIT

Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever ceramic coated their exhuast ports, manifolds, and or other exhaust parts? Just curious if anyone has done it here and what the results were. I heard that Detroit had stainless inserts in the exhuast ports of their 8.2 "fuel pincher" and that's what gained the engine more fuel efficiency, (at least that's what i was told). I would think that ceramic coating would have the same effect right?:dunno Might be a nice "mod" to help improve mpgs/performance, or at least make the turbo spool up faster.... Anyone out there done it?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I had my hedders done on my hi po 289 yrs ago at Jet Hot coating in Alabama. They still look alright but I didnt really take care of my engine really good. They coat the inside and outside. You can have the car running and touch the hedders very quickly. They had different colors. Back then I paid like over $200.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the tops of my pistons. If I had to do it again I would have done my head cumbustion chamber areas and valves both valve face and behind the valve. I wouldnt mess with the exhaust. It hold heat it and on these truck you want to get heat out. Its very reflective and works really well under hotter conditions. The bad part is the heat it reflects goes other places.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt mess with the exhaust. It hold heat it and on these truck you want to get heat out. Its very reflective and works really well under hotter conditions. The bad part is the heat it reflects goes other places.
Isn't the point of ceramic-coating exhaust parts to get as much of the heat/energy to the turbo as possible? For an n/a engine, I understand what you mean...but, if I'm understanding correctly, that's a reason to do as much of a turbo exhaust system (between the manifolds and the turbo) as possible?

I'm thinking about doing this when I take my truck out of service, but trying to learn what I can about it beforehand...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the exhaust pipe radiates some heat when uncoated, when coated more heat is contained and thus raises the rpm and in effect turbo output.

IDK if exhaust heat is the problem or how it correlates to EGTs since the exhaust is post-engine.... I know the thermal probes are usually in the exhaust mani right off the bat to get as close of temps to inside the combustion chamber, but like I said why worry about dissipating heat after the engine. if coating inside and out then the heat will get dumped out. The only other heat issue i've heard about were some having coolant heat issues usually due to improper tstats :dunno

if you ceramicoat the exhaust, up & downpipe, and turbo housing you can lower the underhood temperature too, im guessing a decent amount;Sweet

This summer I'm planning on doing a little more work to my short ram-air intake, and maybe headers etc with ceramicoat if money and time are kind:angel:

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if my truck ever gets the performance treatment ceramic coating is on the list. exhaust manifolds, crossover, up-pipe, turbo exhaust housing and the downpipe will all get it. only difference is i'll be doing the bottom of the intake manifold as well.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well from what I read, the place I got mine done actually first started doing the tiles on the space shuttles hence the name jet hot coating. And its supposed to disipate the heat not keep it in. Definately lowers underhood temps.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the point of ceramic-coating exhaust parts to get as much of the heat/energy to the turbo as possible? For an n/a engine, I understand what you mean...but, if I'm understanding correctly, that's a reason to do as much of a turbo exhaust system (between the manifolds and the turbo) as possible?

I'm thinking about doing this when I take my truck out of service, but trying to learn what I can about it beforehand...

It depends on how you look at it and what your set up is. My engine is fully built with everything you could possibly upgrade. My hold back with the whole truck from making more power is my EGT's. In my case I dont want to retain anymore heat and energy because I have already surpast what the actual materials my parts are made of can take.

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont try to argue but the ceramic coating holds the heat in on manifolds and sends the heat to the turbo which makes turbo spool up faster. My exhaust manifolds are ceramic coated and after my truck is up to 190 degrees I can touch my manifolds for a split second here and there. There is very little radiant heat coming from them and now I plan on getting my crossover pipe done and think that will make a difference. Now if you were to do the intake manifold it will radiate the heat off of it and keep the intake cooler. Also on the manifolds it makes a difference if the outside and the inside is coated which makes it hold in heat even better.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well from what I read, the place I got mine done actually first started doing the tiles on the space shuttles hence the name jet hot coating. And its supposed to disipate the heat not keep it in. Definately lowers underhood temps.

Heres the thing, it is very reflective with heat. If you coat the inside of your exhaust you have just encapsulated it holding the heat in. For some this may be helpfull if they need more energy at the turbo. For me I see it as a problem as my EGT's at the turbo can reach dangerous temps as is.

94IDIT

Reaction score
Sweet, allot of yall seem to be confirming what I was already thinking. Although I don't really know how it would affect egt's:dunno I'm no expert. I wouldn't think I would raise them... at least by a whole lot but I dunno. Also I've never heard of ceramic coating the intake manifolds, that sounds like it would be pretty sweet;Sweet Basically my thought process on the whole thing is the faster the exhaust leaves, the more effiecient the engine. Also it would light up the trubo allot faster leading to greater performance...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you coat the inside of your exhaust you have just encapsulated it holding the heat in. For some this may be helpfull if they need more energy at the turbo. For me I see it as a problem as my EGT's at the turbo can reach dangerous temps as is.

encapsulated it and have it moving away from the motor... The manifold itself is cooler with coating inside and out since it absorbs less so less heat is transferred physically back to the block radiantly. The turbo itself will see more heat

if your egts are over 1100 your either past your turbos efficiency or need a IC or something LOL. :dunno I'm still looking for information to see how high a turbos temp can get within safe limits...

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another way of looking at this as to lower egts is that with lower radiant heat in your engine compartment the turbo or intake is sucking in cooler air which leads to lower egts. ;Poke

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had my exhaust manifolds, up pipes and down pipe ceramic coated when I installed my turbo a month and a half ago. The turbo spins up NOW.

94IDIT

Reaction score
encapsulated it and have it moving away from the motor... The manifold itself is cooler with coating inside and out since it absorbs less so less heat is transferred physically back to the block radiantly. The turbo itself will see more heat

if your egts are over 1100 your either past your turbos efficiency or need a IC or something LOL. :dunno I'm still looking for information to see how high a turbos temp can get within safe limits...

another way of looking at this as to lower egts is that with lower radiant heat in your engine compartment the turbo or intake is sucking in cooler air which leads to lower egts. ;Poke

Makes sense to me;Sweet I'm gonna have to look into doing this then for myself:thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online