Cdr vs Rdt

built4tq1

Reaction score
I've been curiuos know if any of you idi member's have ditched the factory cdr valve in favor of a road draft tube. Similar to the cummins/tractors/semi setups? Just kinda want to get some opinions on the does or dont's of the rdt conversion I have some of my own just would like some input from outside the box:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Several members have done this swap and really like it... I personally have not. I'm fine the way my motor is working now with almost no blowby....

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Been there done that... no issues other than when at idle the vapors will look like you are fire or something is steaming / boiling over. Other than that no issues and you get more of a hot oil smell from the engine bay area when the engine is running.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Some members do that as well...just gotta cut a hole in the exhaust pipe and weld the RDT into it...simple as that....

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could do that but, I would get a check valve like the ones used in thermactor systems on gasser trucks, that way you wouldn't pressurize the crankcase

built4tq1

Reaction score
Well, I was also thinking about coming off of a valve cover or from the valley pan and running a line maybe copper or an a/c line over to the exhaust down pipe and install a oh maybe a 2" in length by maybe a 3/4 or 1" in dia pipe at a 45* facing the back of the truck. Would this also help in scavenging the fumes? I also thought about having a gravity bucket or something of that nature with a "T". One end coming from the valve cover to a T and at the bottom of that T would be a catch all for heavy oils and the remaining end woul be ran to the exhaust. I would think a Very well free flowing exhaust system would allow this to be possible withoug creating back pressure up into the rdt:eek:

built4tq1

Reaction score
Alright I've done some more thinking on this crank case evacuation deal and from my understanding the cdr valve works to pull positive pressure from the bottom end until under full boost:dunno Now the only reason this makes sense is the valve closes itself under max boost from eliminating itself from pulling oil through the system. so if this is the case, and I may be wrong. Then why not throw a breather on one valve cover like gassers have and a pcv type setup on the opposing valve cover so that you are making a "FULL LOOP" in suction?? Everything i have come to understand is that when these valves on our diesels go bad they seem to consume allot of oil. Well that would make sense if they are stuck wide open,"no place to suck from but the crank case at all pressure's". so if you had a draw through system then an engine would be more efficient and not be deluded to positive pressures at anytime. One could bypass the cdr entirely off of a valve cover and then run a breather on the other and no matter what boost pressure you consume oil will become stagnant without the need of being "sucked" out because of no restricted flow of re-lease. A new engine would not be accustomed to substantial amounts of blow-by because of the ring tolerances. However an older engine with worn wall's and or rings would benifit mostly from something of this nature. And with a true positive evacuation these engines may just improve life span.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the cdr valve is supposed to close when the volume of suction is more than the volume of blowby. Ive run many different crank vents on all the different trucks Ive had. I think the next would be a big line into the exhaust with no muffler and no check valve. My last check valve failed.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this to mine with a 1" tube, but i guess i have some blowby, because it created some serious pressure and it started having leaks it didnt have b4. So i rerouted mine back to the intake.