CDR question....

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and one other...I took today off and I'm planning on doing some way overdue maint items. First is the CDR valve...I've never changed since I bought the truck. Is this a Ford only item or can I get it at Napa or International. I searched the tech articles and got part numbers just curious where to buy. I'm also going to replace my fuel/water separator with the new all in one style...33617 wix? Anyway I understand this is a napa item? So I'm wondering if I can do one stop shopping. I've got an International dealer close by if I can get both parts there? I'm changing the fuel filter cuz when I first start up when cold it revs really high and then stalls. I wait 30 seconds and crank and crank and crank and she finally fires off and runs fine but has a tremendous loss of power if I put my foot in it. Anyways any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I answered part of my own question....it appears the CDR valve is a Ford only item. Thankyou Thankyou TowCat for your part number and description!!! :hail :hail Parts guy at Ford didn't have a clue!!! :dunno What's it called again?...what does it do??? Good god! Then I gave the part number and he says that is some kind of adapter??!! So I quickly went back and checked Towcat's post...sure enough they list it as an adapter? Anyway the parts bin turned out to be a savior! Of course they didn't have any in stock and will have to order it...$53.18 I think he said. Oh well....Many thanks again Towcat!

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CDR is NOT a Ford only part, it's just a matter of the parts store finding the right part.

My International 1600 has the same or very similar part, although it is in a different location.

Joe Mc

Reaction score
when I first start up when cold it revs really high and then stalls. I wait 30 seconds and crank and crank and crank and she finally fires off and runs fine but has a tremendous loss of power if I put my foot in it. Anyways any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like an air leak in the fuel system. It is easy to check, after you crank up the 1st time. Pull the fuel filter and if it is mostly empty you have an air leak.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm also going to replace my fuel/water separator with the new all in one style...33617 wix? Anyway I understand this is a napa item?

The napa part number for this filter is 3617, which is what I have on mine. The Wix number is 33617 and can be had any place that sells Wix filters.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! Well I went down to the local Napa and they have never carried the particular filter. :dunno So I thought I was just having a bad luck day! I stopped at Carquest just for giggles and lo and behold they had the filter and the lady at the parts desk knew exactly what I was needing! Anyway they sell Wix filters; just not under the Wix brand name. It is a Carquest part number in a carquest box....part number 86617 for anyone who may need one from them. In small print at the bottom of the box it says "Made by Wix". Very Cool! Anyway I replaced it but I did manage to break the wire and connection going to the top of the fuel filter housing. It was obviously cobbed a long time ago. I soldered it back up but I will need to replace it soon. Not sure exactly what that wire is. It has a big connector but just one connection point on the inside? New fuel filter cleared up my rough starting and no power in the go-pedal though which is great!
That leads me to another question...my water in fuel light never came on...should this light up when first turning the key on. I went to see if the bulb was burnt out but it appears to be a sealed unit along with the wait to start? I suspect the light is burnt out? Does this need to be replaced as a unit? Thanks again.

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric need to come to Georgia again to cause more problems with your truck :D . Get next to peppermint and see what happens:rotflmao :rotflmao
Did you tackle your window problem too?

445TDF-series

Reaction score
I paid $45 for a CDR from Rush truck center... exact same thing as original...

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eric need to come to Georgia again to cause more problems with your truck :D . Get next to peppermint and see what happens:rotflmao :rotflmao
Did you tackle your window problem too?

LOL Well now that you said it first!....But that's exactly what I've been thinking since this whole thing started!! ;Really :D

Nope the window problem went away as soon as I crossed back over into SC!!! :rotflmao

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: ACK! I had the whole Moose Fleet in Georgia with Peppermint in close proximity. :eek:

Wheew! That was a close one. :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eric-
you're embarassing me. really:backoff
thanks for the good words tho. I did this mainly due to the "competent" counter help at my local ford store. Sadly, the oldtimers are almost gone now, there's only one guy left and he's got one foot out the door too. The new help has the skillset of the local DIY's....Kragen, Autozone....etc... but for the corporate bean counters, they work pretty cheap compared to the old guys.
Anyways....
If you haven't gotten started, you will need this piece in order to make your project a heck of alot easier. If your CDR is the original one, chances are you will find a rubber/metal abortion connecting the CDR to the intake valley. This one piece rubber E8TZ-6A892-A "retainer" as ford calls it, replaces the "abortion". here's a couple of pics....somebody help me give it a real life name;Sweet
added in edit...
I didn't read Eric's sig line with his ATS turbo. This "retainer" is for the NA guys. Trust me...it's worth the extra $15 bucks for the darned part compared to the grief you will go through pushing the new CDR back in if you didn't break the rubber trying to pull the old CDR out.

Attachments

• 12-04-07_0001.jpg
    12-04-07_0001.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 12-04-07_0002.jpg
    12-04-07_0002.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 12-04-07_0003.jpg
    12-04-07_0003.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta love the way Towcat signs his pictures. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to see a better pic of her, google up "Lisa Marie Scott" ;Sweet (******* Feb '95)
Any suggestions for the part name now that I got your attention?

Attachments

• 04-12-07_1943.jpg
    04-12-07_1943.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online