CDR Plumbing and Winter Tips

Zion

Reaction score
I finally got a CDR and I'm very interested in getting rid of the oil puke-tube that is currently mounted to the block. Unfortunately, I have no clue how to re-incorporate the CDR into my factory IDIT. There are brackets for the CDR on the driver side valve cover, and I believe I have found the corresponding inlet on the bottom of my intake housing. I don't have a grommet or fitting to secure the CDR intake onto the valve cover, but I'm unfamiliar enough with the system that I'm really not sure if I need it. As far as connecting the valve to the intake, I'm at a complete loss. A friend of mine mentioned using air-hose fittings and tubing to connect the two. I figure I can find the thread size for the intake, but I'm not sure on hose diameter or fittings. I would greatly appreciate some advice from those of you who understand this CDR wizardry.

While I'm at it, I'd like to ask whether or not there are any winter care tips specific to the IDI. It was a balmy 15 degrees this evening in southwest Iowa and the brick nose decided it didn't particularly like starting up. I'm pretty sure our gas station already started running their winter treated fuel, and I've been utilizing my block heater, but have been enjoying plenty of no-starts. I'm planning on biting the bullet and getting new batteries instead of textbooks, but besides that, is there anything I can do to keep the engine happy as my state approached sub zero temps?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use your block heater. Put a 150W patch heater on the oil pan. Permanently put a 1A or 2A trickle charger on the batteries. Plug all three of these into a double-duplex outlet mounted out of the way, probably under a headlight, and run the power cord from that out the grill. Plug it in over night. Use a 5W-40 oil.

I've started my trucks at -40 with just that.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use your block heater. Put a 150W patch heater on the oil pan. Permanently put a 1A or 2A trickle charger on the batteries. Plug all three of these into a double-duplex outlet mounted out of the way, probably under a headlight, and run the power cord from that out the grill. Plug it in over night. Use a 5W-40 oil.

I've started my trucks at -40 with just that.

This is the right advice.

I'll only add that if you don't plan to see that cold, you can get by without the Patch heater down to a little below 0 without issue.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont use the block heater cause i dont want to rely on it to start my truck. i run 5w-40 oil, i have installed Ford Motorcraft ZD-9 glow plugs and i have a good glow plug controller. i also recommend anti gel diesel additive, i use DieselKleen but there is lots of brands out there

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been having good luck so far with good glowplugs, a strong starter, and 5w-40 oil. However the coldest i started it in was around 20*f so far. The block heater does make it easier to start but only of you are near an outlet which isn't always the case thats why I prefer to rely on the truck itself to get started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online