cdr delete?

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has removed the cdr from their truck and used the banks crankcase vent hose adaptor and just ran a hose to a seperate filter instead of running it to the cdr valve on the intake?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't restrict the crankcase breathing too much or it will cause oil leaks on the engine(among other things). I don't know what kind of "filter" you might be thinking about, but it would need to be more of a oil "separator", to drop the oil/water and gunk out of the airflow and let the air go on out into the atmosphere.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the front cover off the IP, welded on a 90 degree fitting and am running a RDT over the alternator and down to the frame rail. I dont really see any oil deposits without any filter, but something I've seen on a few Powerstrokes is a little contraption filled with steel wool to collect oil

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking something like a road draft tube on a truck with some sort of filter to keep debris out

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of turning the CDR around, then plugging the hole left in the intake and running a tube from the CDR outlet to the ground (or through a "filter" then to the ground) I realize that this does not eliminate the CDR itself, which seems to be the reason most opt out to a road draft tube; but it would vent the crankcase gases to the road instead of dealing with how everthing is fed to the rear two cylinders
(which is the reason I would delete the CDR). And with the CDR still in place; it should continue to catch and return liquid oil and only let the gases escape.

The CDR may and probably will need some modification in order to fit this way but surely it could be done. It would also eliminate having to rig up a 90 degree fitting and pipe that fits into the valley pan grommet. One could simply run a hose straight from the CDR to the ground.

Just a random idea, thought I would put it out to the universe and see what you guys think

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
What I did was block both of the holes in the tray and the back of the intake hat and put a breath filter in place of the oil fill cap.
Looks like there is a fire under the hood, but oil consumption has declined slightly. Imma run this truck till the engine melts and swap in the idit I have stashed away.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And with the CDR still in place; it should continue to catch and return liquid oil and only let the gases escape.

Take a look at my CDR explained (or whatever I called it) thread a page or 2 down..... the CDR valve does jack for catching and returning oil.

I've been running a straight RDT off the banks adapter like the OP suggested and it works decently. I don't have much blowby so it's not really a problem but someone with a more worn engine could have problems.

I'm planning to eventually setup an oil separator system and route the blow by into the intake ahead of the turbo but that's down the road.

For an oil separator to work properly you need a separate drain line leading to the oil pan below the oil level. This allows oil to freely drain. If you don't have this than the gasses coming out of the crankcase will just pick up any oil trying to flow back into the crankcase.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a used 093 turbo kit on my '93 F250. I didn't get the turbo valve cover with the kit but I did get the grommet that goes into the valve cover. I just drilled a hole in the driver side valve cover to fit the CDR grommet. Since I didn't have a way to mount the CDR onto the valve cover I just got a 1" OD 90 degree elbow and inserted it into the CDR grommet and used some 1" heater hose to run a RDT out under the back of the truck and plugged the hole in the air intake. I have since found a turbo valve cover so I'll put the CDR back on just in case it actually does do something but I'll still run the RDT. I'm just not a fan of running it into the intake and getting all the oil residue in there. I did the same thing on my '00 PSD and now I have a nice clean engine valley since I no longer have oil residue seeping through the intercooler boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online