cavitation?

Postmark

Reaction score
I have a '94 idi turbo. Got it a little hot, blew off the expansion tank cap. Noticed some little globs in the tank, and some in the radiator, assuming it's oil.. I'm more familiar with gas engines, blowing a head gasket results in the milkshake effect. Pulled the oil cooler, seals were brittle, but I couldn't tell if they were leaking. The coolant didn't look too bad, except for the passenger side block drain. That had some black oil spots in it. I don't know the history of this motor, has about 200k. Could it be a gasket, cracked head, or is it most likely cavitation?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you had it, have you kept sca's in the coolant, how hot did it get and for how long? It's likely that it isn't cavitation, but the guys who really know this motor (a lot better than I do) will be able to help more with those questions answered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Postmark

Reaction score
Had it about a year, just recently found out about scas, haven't tested the coolant yet. It has stock gauges, so I don't know an exact temp, but it topped out. Probably for about ten minutes until I could get off the interstate. Somewhere along the way the turbo to downpipe collar came off, which may have started the whole thing.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Seeing that you just got the rig and the oil cooler o rings were brittle I'm thinking thats the oil in the cooling system. Remember the oil system is under as much as 60 lbs of oil pressure and the cooling system has at best. About 13 lbs on it. So oil is going past during the run times. sure, coolant stays at 13 lbs well past engine shut down but it usually will not run back that way. We always see the high pressure side leaking first. Thats the what this forum sees.

Postmark

Reaction score
Ok. I just thought it odd that the black oil showed up on the opposite side of the block from the oil cooler. The stuff in the tank is more like little grey clusters.