Cause of fuel pump leak.

Diesel Fuel

Reaction score
Hello gang!

I've got some questions about this leak and its cause. First the facts and symptoms:

1997 F-250, 7.3 P.S.D. 215k, I've only owned for a couple months, and purchased this truck with the leak. I've no idea how long it had been leaking for. I have performed a fuel filter replacement, as well as an oil and filter change. Driven it up to temperature and around town a few times, hopefully cycle all the old oil through the HPOP. She runs great, plenty of power.

I've got a fuel leak coming out of the passenger side of the fuel pump. The unit appears to be the factory Carter mechanical unit and the drip is falling out of the bottom of the pump next to the passenger side mounting flange. The lines and small hoses are leak free.

Looking at photos of the replacement fuel pump, there appears to be a small hole ( perhaps a weep hole?) in the location of my leak. Passenger side, bottom of pump next to flange. The leak is just a drip, but the frequency is one drop per second at idle approximately.

I have not started to replace any of the fuel system, and will eventually be working my way through the old O-Rings and upgrading components. In the mean time I would like to stop the leak.

So the questions are:

-Is this symptom indicative of a failing fuel pump? Is the hole indeed a weep hole?

-Could this be related to another issue? Perhaps a clogged fuel pressure regulator screen?

-Is there any further diagnostics that I could perform to eliminate any possible faults?

Thanks for reading and hopefully offering any insight. Please respond with your experience, or even if you have a gut feeling.

Your friend,
-Diesel Fuel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep, that's a weep hole.
If you need some pointers/pics on what to remove, let me know.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

mudslut350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it is that pump mine did it too a few years ago not bad to change the 1 1/4" banjo bolt is a pain but with the right extensions and a uniwiggly its not bad. good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance