Catastrophic E4OD bellhousing failure(Full fracture)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The spacer is the 1 1/8 inch thick piece that connects between the flexplate and the crank. The washer is the piece that has the bolts going thru it and it spreads the bolt torque holding out over a wider area of the plate. With that flexplate you must use the spacer or it wont tighten up on the cranks. It also will be engaged into the starter gear sop it can't work. Now because you have a heavy cast iron flexplate you wont need the spacer. But you will need the washer, thin stamped torque converter plate and the heavy cast iron plate with the pressed on ring gear. Look that gear over closely for worn teeth. You can replace the gear easily too. They are found many different places like ebay or nappa. The reason for replacing the bolts is because of the horrible damage that was done there. They are suspect for holding power now. Not replacing them is taking a huge risk. If you just had to get home and these were the only bolts on the planet I say use them but have it in mind they are not dependable.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your tranny had alignment issues. That is the only way to get that kind of carnage. That is some good carnage too.LOL

Are the dowel pins loose or MIA. That would cause alignment issues.

I would replace the input shaft. They are not designed to hold the weight of a transmission. Toss the converter. You can get a rebuild cheap. Like the input shaft, they don't like a lot of weight on the hub.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man thats toasted. I woulda thought the adapter plate would crack first. I've seen 2 of those crack where the starter mounts. The one was in my buddies truck and the starter almost fell out when he went to crank it. Wish i took pics of that!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is what a powerstroke flexplate with the spacer and the washer looks like. This will not fit your idi but its the same principle. I'm not seeing this washer in any of your pics. If its not used the torque is not spread out on the flexplate and it cracks. Who was the last person to change the trans.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Your tranny had alignment issues. That is the only way to get that kind of carnage. That is some good carnage too.LOL

Are the dowel pins loose or MIA. That would cause alignment issues.

I would replace the input shaft. They are not designed to hold the weight of a transmission. Toss the converter. You can get a rebuild cheap. Like the input shaft, they don't like a lot of weight on the hub.

Yeah its some messed ups stuff!

The dowels pins were in and not loose, same with the bellhousing bolts, they were all in and tight.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
This is what a powerstroke flexplate with the spacer and the washer looks like. This will not fit your idi but its the same principle. I'm not seeing this washer in any of your pics. If its not used the torque is not spread out on the flexplate and it cracks. Who was the last person to change the trans.

I believe you were trying to show me a pic? Its not showing up.

The last time someone messed with the trans was about a decade ago. Ill have to dig to find out who did the work.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
The reason for replacing the bolts is because of the horrible damage that was done there. They are suspect for holding power now. Not replacing them is taking a huge risk. If you just had to get home and these were the only bolts on the planet I say use them but have it in mind they are not dependable.

Gotcha ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Hey everyone, its been about a year since I've even looked at the truck. Things got moved around and misplaced. I am curious to see if the engine will fire again. I am currently charging the batteries. I have no idea where i put the glow plugs and don't want to go out and buy another new pair until I find them. I plan to find and or rebuild a trans to put in this thing.

Ill have pics to post.