Catastrophic E4OD bellhousing failure(Full fracture)

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
If your gonna get that tranny from towcat, and then switch parts if needed, get this manual from ATSG, cost is about $30, if you've never worked on one before. Google "Automatic Transmission Service Group" or just the ATSG.

How'd you know I needed something like this? I didn't even have to ask. Haha

Thanks OLDBULL8!

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with your transmission, but i just noticed your info says your are on the central coast!! what city exactly? I am in atascadero, real close to San Luis Obispo.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with your transmission, but i just noticed your info says your are on the central coast!! what city exactly? I am in atascadero, real close to San Luis Obispo.

Very cool! I am living in Santa Maria right now. May move back to A.G. and start looking for work else where next year.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I now have a trans to work on that I got from NO_SPRK.;Sweet Great guy, it was nice putting face to the name too. :cheers:

I think I am going to do a full rebuild since I will be all the way in both transmissions. Im pretty excited to get to work on this.
I just have to wait till more money comes in to buy a rebuild kit. That will give me time to do my research though.

I will keep this thread alive with updates and some carnage pictures once I get the trans out of the 93.

Thanks for all the help so far from everyone!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Post photos. Carnage photos are cool.:D

Make sure you have a good inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench. Biggest problem rebuilding any auto tranny in not having the proper torque.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Do you guys think this rebuild kit would be worth while buying? I found this craigslist ad.

You must be registered for see images attach

"FOTZ7C391A Kit. 90 2004 E & F.150 250 350
Genuine Ford Product.All Engine(s)

Manufacturer: Ford
Brand: Ford Genuine Parts
Catalogue Description: Kit
Part No.: FOTZ7C391A
Motorcraft Part No.: N/A
Part Attributes: Note: kit does not include 7D100 and 7C155 gaskets - must order gaskets seperate - A70.15 - Automatic Transmission - E4OD
Qty in Package: 1
Condition: New in Original Factory Packaging
Availability: Available In Stock
Authenticity Code: CLHYI0RVFF "

Im a little wary of this but if you guys say its as good as any other rebuild kit I'll get it because of the price.

Last edited:

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Post photos. Carnage photos are cool.:D

Make sure you have a good inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench. Biggest problem rebuilding any auto tranny in not having the proper torque.

Yeah, I wouldnt trust my little harbor freight torque wrench with this rebuild. I was thinking about investing in one of the digital ones. I saw a nice one that a coworker had gotten off of the snap-on truck.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy the ford kit. Do it right and update everything that needs to be done. and use a quality aftermarket kit

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Have you discovered what caused this break. I think thats a very important item to find. If I could not find the reason I sure would be concerned about it happening again...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy the ford kit. Do it right and update everything that needs to be done. and use a quality aftermarket kit

Actually there is nothing wrong using a factory kit. Clutches come from Borg, seals are already updated in the kit There are parts that I would change. Steels and front pump seal. For hard parts I would go after market. But it depends on the OP's budget and how crazy of a build he wants.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Yesterday was a busy day, I just got the truck moved my place so I can work on it. The glowplugs are shot or the relay is bad. I was horrified to hear the truck start up and start rattling the trans case. The engine sounded great though! Once I get a free day or two I can pull the trans and start taking pics for you guys. Prepare your selves, its going to be ugly. Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online