Cat P-Pump Swap???

Bakersk896

Reaction score
Anyone put a P-pump from a cat 3208 on their IDI? It’s and 11.6L engine rated for around 210 depending on the factory setup. The cc per injection has to be much larger than a DB2. Downside is that even if someone has done it, it would require a custom intake and very little room for a turbo if I’m remembering how long that p-pump is correctly. Just a curiosity thing.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Thewespaul has made a bit of a write up on it and that is as far as it had gone. He was done good work on the OE pump adding a ceramic sleeve to add longjevity, larger plungers and smothing the power band, that I am not sure it is worth the effort if would be shooting for the 350-400hp range.

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/3208-in-line-pump-conversion-for-the-idi.83315/

This is the only one I found with custom barrel&plungers in 9.5mm 142-2818, there is also a marine 8.5mm set 1W3010 that can be found cheaper on ebay. Base N/A and turbo have 2 other smaller sizes that I dont recale the size of if remember correctly, marine or bigger is all that is of intress since put a 3208 at ~350hp.

https://www.dieselsystemsaustralia.com.au

I have one these pumps sitting and this is how big it is vs the intake. It will need a adaptor made that moves it back like a inch so will fall in the vally, you cant cut on the front coolant bridge of the engine.

img_20140220_180703-jpg.99574

Bakersk896

Reaction score
@1mouse3 thanks for that. I’m saving for a 190cc pump from @Thewespaul currently. I had read an article of a sled truck with a PSD base converted to a mechanical P-pump with IDI style injectors. I think they were using a Bosch pump that is inline 8 instead of the 3208 pump that is shaped like a v-8

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@1mouse3 thanks for that. I’m saving for a 190cc pump from @Thewespaul currently. I had read an article of a sled truck with a PSD base converted to a mechanical P-pump with IDI style injectors. I think they were using a Bosch pump that is inline 8 instead of the 3208 pump that is shaped like a v-8
What's your bottom end plans to support a 190cc pump

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bakersk896

Reaction score
@hacked89 im also looking into what it would cost to get some custom rods machined. The main caps are good with a girdle and the crank shouldn’t have any issues. This will require rebalancing more sure. I’m really trying to build a beat without doing a powerstroke build.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought the inline Pump off a 9 Liter IH would be a better choice. Would require a custom log / sheetmetal intake manifold, but could work well for a twin turbo setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PES8P is in the works.
not only will the intake need to be remanufactured, but a valley pan will have to be built too.
the housing for the gear, and pump mount are in the design stages.

ive got a engine at R&D right now thats being done for a drag strip only application.
with Brian crower rods

Bakersk896

Reaction score
That’s awesome to see guys. @FrozenMerc ive seen those pumps, similar to the Bosch MW pumps, they have been done before.

@IDIoit i loving that idea. I hope you finish it. I think everyone is wanting to see an off the wall build.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online