Carrying Spares on the roof?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'm taking my spare out to increase my under vehicle fuel carrying capability.

I need to relocate my spare tire. I was thinking of getting a safari style rack and tossing the spare above the cab - has anyone done this? Might look a little crocodile dundee, but should work. A swing out custom fab carrier for the tailgate would be fairly expensive. I'd most likely also figure a way to carry one on the hood too as I'd like to carry two spares on cross country trips. Tire carrying ideas that don't include the bed of the truck?

Thoughts? Experiences?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
carrying one on the hood would seriously disrpt your view.... id find a way to put it on the front grill or in the bed

matt

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
why dont you put 2 on the roof. a lot of things look stupid, but if you have a reason for it...its not stupid.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to build a side mount bracket to go on the passenger side under the camper when it is on. There will be pics when I do it.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I may just end up with the two spares mounted between the wheel wells in the bed and the back of the cab. I don't use over sized tires so maybe it won't chew up that much space. Still probably will do the safari rack on the roof.

I'd do a rack over a camper shell too, but I'll be removing the shell from time to time to carry oversize stuff so it isn't very convenient.

why dont you put 2 on the roof. a lot of things look stupid, but if you have a reason for it...its not stupid.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Don't put it in front of the grill, that seriously disrupts the air flow to the radiator. Bad Idea unless your in Iceland.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put two on the roof, over the cab. Not one over the cab and one over the camper shell. Two should fit fine.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
it can cut down your miliage a small amount and add some wind noise placing them on your roof. not a big deal if this is off road though.

i think it would be cool to mount them on the outside of the bed but then you would need a step side to make it look right.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'd drawn up plans for a combo wheel, gerry can holder that would be pintle mounted on the left and right bumper clear of the tailgate. The plan was to have them swing outward. Fabrication would cost somewhere around 2k - too rich for my blood.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you just put a dragup tank in the bed and leave the spare where it's at, under the truck?????????????????//

Jim

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I need the bed room and an in bed tank would need to be gravity fed, etc. This way I use the sender from the OEM tank and it's pump and it's seamless. Having a heater in teh bed and a fuel tank is not a good combo :)

Additionally if I decide to camp out in my camper shell I won't be sucking diesel fumes all night.

Why don't you just put a dragup tank in the bed and leave the spare where it's at, under the truck?????????????????//

Jim

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, that solution is about 100 dollars more than the one I'm pursuing, and I don't have the luxury of BD100 - closest pump is 30 minutes...

And there is absolutely none on the route that I'll be traveling regularly...

If you can spare 13.5 inches of your bed then THIS will work fine. I have one. ;Sweet A gravity fed system is easy with THIS.

Use biodiesel...it does not stink!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin