Carrier Bearing Hardware

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
I'm replacing my carrier bearing. Relatively routine task. I had to torch 1 bolt and I was surprised the other came out. So I go to get new hardware this morning and evidently 7/16"-14 U-Nuts are super hard to find! Even online!

Where can these be had? The carrier bearing bolt on the driver side is right next to the fuel tank, so it'd be nice just to slip another one of these U-nuts there rather than dealing with a bolt and separate nut.

Any help or direction would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4677.JPG
    IMG_4677.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4675.JPG
    IMG_4675.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 15

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive seen similar hardware in the self help isle of any auto store.
let me check the bucket with all of the F350 hardware i have.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC ..i worked a bolt through that spot for mine and used a nut on the bottom. Those speed nuts suck...or make yer own...

JM7/16CW

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check tractor supply?

They have a pretty good selection of stuff like that. I have bought some there before, but not sure if they were the size you are looking for.

jhenegh

Reaction score
Didn't check there, but Fastenal, Ace, Ford dealer and the local industrial hardware supply didn't have any, nor do any online hardware suppliers.

Pretty sure I'll be doing what Al did. Bolt down through and nut on the bottom

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Drill it and use 1/2'' hardware and never have to worry about not finding them again.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Every truck I've ever had has had a regular nut and bolt. Bolt from top, wedge a wrench in there it holds itself, ratchet on bottom. Gutentight!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I used 3/8" U-nuts from the local parts store. Easier than a nut and bolt.
Ask them to look at their Au-Ve-co parts.

Kheg

Reaction score
IIRC ..i worked a bolt through that spot for mine and used a nut on the bottom.

^^^That is what I did with mine. I've taken it off twice now I just use a box end wrench to hold the top of the bolts and a run the nuts of with the impact.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to use 1/2" grade eights installed in the top, I welded a piece of flat bar on the tops to keep them from spinning when I tighten the nuts; no wrench needed up top!

jhenegh

Reaction score
Got it back in yesterday after getting the shaft back. I ended up taking it in to get rebalanced because the shaft was crusty and the balancing weight was coming off, and just had the truck shop put the 3 new Spicer U joints in and the carrier bearing.

Used 7/16" flange head bolts and flange lock nuts. Stuck a wrench in the top and got it done, didn't worry about welding a bar to them, but could've. 1/2" bolts would've fit with very little additional effort, but I already had the 7/16" bought.

I added a 3/8" spacer too since after the swap to a fresh rear spring pack with the overloads and the 4" block (to finally match my Dana 60 front) I was getting an occasional whine and shudder.

SMOOTH now! Glad I got it rebalanced and put that spacer in. Smoothest this truck has ever been going down the highway, and I still need to get my from spring bushings replaced and attack the front steering (cough ( http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...FICIAL-Red-Head-Steering-Box-Group-Buy-Thread ) cough ;Sweet )

Attachments

• IMG_4734.JPG
    IMG_4734.JPG
    505.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4733.JPG
    IMG_4733.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 11

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle