Carnage

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too bad but still a PITA during busy RV shipping season.

Had a coolant leak that I had a hail of a time finding. Finally found the trail down the right rear corner of the block and head. Head is at the machine shop now getting pressure checked, cleaned, magnafluxed, resurfaced, valves ground and new valve stem seals.

Found my other oil leak too. Oil was running out of the shut down solenoid shaft on the right side where you can't see chit between the pump and head.

Just ordered new Stage 1 40-60 HP injectors and a #6 fuel plate for the pump too.:sly...... Prolly gonna regret the latter but my reason for a #6 is that my 190 hp Cummapart has a CPL of 1551 which is included with the group of 160/175 HP Dodge Ram a 49 state emmissions CPL which should put me around 230 HP and 605 TQ, Ain't trying to get too stupid, just trying to get power close to what my 2004.5 Dually has....... Even though it exceeds the rating of my Allison tranny by about 150 ft lbs of torque.

I don't need the power down low but am waaaaaaay underpowered on the top end, especially when running againt a stiff head wind, I can barely maintain 50 mph then.

Brain Surgery
You must be registered for see images attach

Parts

More parts

Flipping oil leak on governor...Unreal how much oil that tiny O-rin will let by.

#6 back of block, water getting out running over to right side then down side of block.

Gasket is in bad shape at the rear of #6 cylinder

3 out of 6 injectors were so stuck and carboned up they wouldn't come out with a slide hammer...... You don't wanna know how I got them out but it wasn't very ummmmmmm....... surgical with a BFH and a drift.... 3 patient died here.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cummapart is rightLOL sounds like you will have her buttoned up in no time though.

so how has the truck been treating you? any improvements from using it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a work in progress LOL. Overall it's been good but nickle and diming me with repairs last month. Making money but not as much take home as I would have liked because of injector problems, blowing the bottom out of the aluminum tool box, breaking both tool box mounts on the new box a week later, breaking my fenders over the rear wheels on a very heavy trailer on the truck, replacing the timing gear case and now this.

I have purchased a complete air ride frame cut from an IH 4700 lo pro that I have to pick up yet as well as a Viair 450C compressor and 2-1/2 gallon tank. Plan to hire GEO to help with that install. Wanted to do it this time in but my engine dictated otherwise, sorry George, This one is tapping my wallet a little to hard right now.

May modify the bed a wee bit before I take off next week too if funds permit.

I can pull goosenecks and 5th wheels with it too now. like this Sundowner horse trailer I picked up in FL:D Just have to pull the stinger out, flip it over and drop in the ball stand. I have a Putnam Firehawk II fifth wheel head that pins to a gooseneck ball that I forgot at the house last time in so no picks with a small 5vr yet.

I have also shortened the ramps to 8' and trussed them for strength as well as made them pin to the truck making loading and unloading faster.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Tonka You are My Hero, when I grow up I wanna be like You.:thumbsup:

Btw isn't there any way to beef up the allison to take more from the cummins? It is capable of much more power and maybe not to costly on fuel, but what do I know I don't haul so far.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Damn Mike....admit it, you just like working on that Polish Detroit {Cuminski:D}

If those nozzles were so carboned up, were the copper seal washers intact?....or was there carbon under them from improper install?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
40' tip to tail and rides like chit Rebel. Truck is beating itself to death. I don't haul enough weight on on it for that 19k rear axle which is why I bought the air ride.

Here ya go Rebel, 2 - 30' long 11' tall trailers on it.

I ain't gonna mess with the tranny Zeke.

Hail Geo, all I got left to do on comrade Cuminski now is the bottom end.

Copper washers were intact George but were carboned up bad too. I had 2 injectors come loose last trip #2 & #3. #2 cost me $510 on the road to get fixed. #3 was squirting fuel all over that nice warm turbo untill I ripped everything apart in a truck stop parking lot and tightened the hold down nut.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I'd change is dump the 540 series Allison and go to a 2000 5 speed Allison or a 6 speed stick. The 54X Allisons are horrible, power wasting glorified TH400's. You'd gain more pulling power ditching that tranny than anything you can do to the engine.

Most 5.9's I see in 26K chassis backed by 545's are dead by 200K. The engine's overworked and the tranny forces it to run far out of it's powerband most of the time.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
The first thing I'd change is dump the 540 series Allison and go to a 2000 5 speed Allison or a 6 speed stick. The 54X Allisons are horrible, power wasting glorified TH400's. You'd gain more pulling power ditching that tranny than anything you can do to the engine.

Most 5.9's I see in 26K chassis backed by 545's are dead by 200K. The engine's overworked and the tranny forces it to run far out of it's powerband most of the time.

Maybe but Tonka's service to our country makes it hard for him to row.....;Really

Thanks again Mike!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Tonka I think the injectors on the 1st and 2nd generation cummins are similar, if so here is a home made tool to get them out.

H2O For the #'s He is running he doesn't need studs.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonka I think the injectors on the 1st and 2nd generation cummins are similar, if so here is a home made tool to get them out.

H2O For the #'s He is running he doesn't need studs.

That would have worked. Will try to tuck that idea away for a rainy day.

Head studs. NOPE, ain't trying to get stupid.

6 speed, NOPE, if I gotta row gears with my bad joints, it'll be a Fuller RTOO9513 13 speed double overdrive. (which are actually tripple overdrive trannies.) that I only need the clutch to start and stop;Sweet

As for an Allison 2000 or 3000 series...... They cost more than I paid for the truck, who's gonna buy me one for my birthday in a few days:D......it would also be a 6 speed with double OD, not a 5 speed.....run fifth loaded and 6th empty.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nope, that is an RTO12513, single OD, final ratio .87 which is reasonable and would put 1800 rpm @ 57 mph

I want an RTOOF9513, RTOO11613 or RTOOF11613 which have OD ratios of .84, .73 and .62 in the top 3 gears

This gets me 59 @ 1800 in 11th for the east coast and cali, 65 @ 1700 in 12th for the mid west and 72 @ 1600 in 13th for the ride back empty out west.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828