car trailers

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i wanna start flipping cars and will be looking into trailers
so i want a 2 car cause well be scrapping too so thatll save big on fuel
i can do bp or gn either works for my setup weight on the tounge is not an issue at all
but i think an open deck would be good but i like wood decks too anyone make an open wood deck? also is there any benifits of gn over bp? i know better weight but im mostly thinking about turning backing etc.

also for gn hitches anyone use one of those big flat plates? i was gonna get one of those at tractor supply

thanks guys

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Gooseneck is going to give you a lot more weight capacity plus more articulation, which if you are going to be heading into parts unknown could be critical . GN also handles way better loaded down. It's kind of a no brainer. If you have the option, go with a GN.
The only real advantage to owning a bumper pull is that you can hitch it to more folks vehicles.
I've got a 32ft enclosed GN carhauler and I love that thing. It would be fairly worthless for what you are looking to do . For scrapping it's better to be able to lift straight up off the deck, but this thing is great for hauling runners, slightl;y deads and other cargo. It will only haul one regular vehicle of two really small ones though. To haul two regular size on deck you need a dang large trailer.
When shopping make sure that you look for one that is going to have maximum axle /braking capacity to keep the strain off the truck. You want the trailer to have weight/braking that will handle ALL of it's self and load separate of the truck , and remember finding one with heavier and less axles will cost less at registration, toll and tire time. A lighter built trailer with more axles might look cheaper up front, but can bite you in the hind end later.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive the slight hijack, but how difficult is it to find bumper-pull trailers meant to haul two cars?

A 5er or gooseneck isn't an option for me unless I can figure out what to do with my lumber rack (tossing it would be nice, but I use it just often enough to need it...would love to find a way to make it collapsible or something like that, but that's for another thread), but there's a slight but real possibility I'm going to need to tow a Jeep Wrangler and a Honda CRV from Colorado to California someday in the next couple of years...

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5th wheel or Goose neck definitely.

I've hauled stuff and pulled trailers for 40 years and the ways to get into trouble with a bumper pull trailer are many, expecially with two full size cars on it. The weight transfer to the rear of tow vehicle on braking and lane changes will whip the front end to places you don't want to go and faster than you can say "ohhhhhhhhhhh ****!!!" you are over the line and out of control... where with GN or 5th wheel, it wouldn't have happened.

Backing and spotting with GN is dead simple.. you can go places man has never gone before with a BP trailer.

Word of caution... no matter what you choose, make sure the trailer brakes work right.
Slapping on the binders can save your butt big time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Forgive the slight hijack, but how difficult is it to find bumper-pull trailers meant to haul two cars?

A 5er or gooseneck isn't an option for me unless I can figure out what to do with my lumber rack (tossing it would be nice, but I use it just often enough to need it...would love to find a way to make it collapsible or something like that, but that's for another thread), but there's a slight but real possibility I'm going to need to tow a Jeep Wrangler and a Honda CRV from Colorado to California someday in the next couple of years...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're looking at about 30 feet of combined vehicles that you want to tow. Even with tires on the edge and bumpers hanging over, you'll need a heck of a long trailer for a bumper pull unless you go with an over/under

How hard would it be to hinge the lumber rack to fold over on itself forward so you could have access to a ball in the bed?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How hard would it be to hinge the lumber rack to fold over on itself forward so you could have access to a ball in the bed?
That's a good question...I'm kicking an idea around in my head, based on making a headache rack and making the framework around that to make a lumber rack that's collapsible, but I don't know how feasible it would be (not to mention cost since I don't know how to weld -cuss )...I dunno; I have a bunch of ideas regarding my truck bed that probably aren't realistic...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Warden, and RLDSL,

A quick idea I had while just sitting here.... if it is like most ladder racks that I have seen, it is a "truck sized" framework that is just above cab height, and has 4 supports coming down to the 4 corner stake pockets, or a headache rack, and 2 supports in the back. If this is an 8' rack (don't think I have seen a short bed rack) then at the 4' mark on the sides, cut the tubing and place a hinge at that point. Also place a hinge in that same tube where it connects at the front and back supports, so on each side you would have 3 hinges above the bed. Have the rear supports be easily removeable from the rear pockets (by using a sliding insert inside the current framework and replace the section that goes into the stake pocket (like the bar on a double chain link fence gate, that you can raise to open the 2 half of the gate). Loosen the rack from the back 2 pockets, and push the rear framework forward, allowing the hinged sides to fold in, and up be sanwiched between the headache rack and the back framework. So when it is folded, you still have the area above the cab and hood, and the area at the headache rack is twice as "thick" as normal, and the area above the bed is clear. When you need the rack back, pull the back away from the headache rack, put the "stakes" back down in the read stake pockets and lock the hinges. Just a quick thought.........

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's a good question...I'm kicking an idea around in my head, based on making a headache rack and making the framework around that to make a lumber rack that's collapsible, but I don't know how feasible it would be (not to mention cost since I don't know how to weld -cuss )...I dunno; I have a bunch of ideas regarding my truck bed that probably aren't realistic...

You don't need to know how to weld, you just need to find a welder who knows how to drink LOL. Seriously, if you do all the cutting and get things prepped, you should be able to find a welder to zap things together for not a whole dang bunch of money . I think Snicklas is on to something there. That could easily be made functional. Once you got the hang of it, probably wouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so to change out the setup.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
5th wheel or Goose neck definitely.

I've hauled stuff and pulled trailers for 40 years and the ways to get into trouble with a bumper pull trailer are many, expecially with two full size cars on it. The weight transfer to the rear of tow vehicle on braking and lane changes will whip the front end to places you don't want to go and faster than you can say "ohhhhhhhhhhh ****!!!" you are over the line and out of control... where with GN or 5th wheel, it wouldn't have happened.

Backing and spotting with GN is dead simple.. you can go places man has never gone before with a BP trailer.

Word of caution... no matter what you choose, make sure the trailer brakes work right.
Slapping on the binders can save your butt big time.

How fast do you tow?!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, VERY interesting idea...I may have to look into that. I need to figure out what my end-game's going to be, first...I'm also toying with the (probably unrealistic financially) idea of a DRW conversion and building a hybrid flat/utility bed...hmm, ideas ideas... :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a pic of my flatbed with a removable lumber rack. Dragrag now owns it.
when needed, the uprights and horizontals are removable to the headache rack.
as far as working trailer brakes, I spent years towing car/trucks with no brake assist in the towed vehicle. My personal rule is make sure I have the ultimate in stopping power in my towing vehicle. F450 brakes in a F350 fills that bill.:D
I just towed a stupid heavy trailer that was overweight out of the box. No problems whatsoever going or stopping. ;Sweet right Tim?:D
one more thing....a 35' bumper pull is illegal in kali without a class A license and CA number on your door and is completely unworkable in a urban environment. flatbed carriers are da bomb for urban;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet:D

Attachments

• SL372653.JPG
    SL372653.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 23

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just towed a stupid heavy trailer that was overweight out of the box. No problems whatsoever going or stopping. ;Sweet right Tim?:D
Amen to that! I've been brainstorming ever since that day, compounded by my dad telling me about possibly needing to haul his sister (and her two cars) back to CA at some point. I should run some of these ideas by you so I can find out how unrealistic they are :D maybe if my boss actually lets me have tomorrow and Tuesday off work I can head down there...in any event, I'm starting to see the $$ for Operation Phoenix adding up :shocked: :D

Good lord this thread is thoroughly in the weeds :oops: sorry 88beast...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online