Car seats n the 85 350

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife and I were talking about the safety of car seat and how well the 3 year old is restrained with the factory seat and 1985 standards.with all that said has anyone ever added 3 the little hook deals or a 3 point belt? Would it be easier to do a full seat conversion from a newer truck? Any help would be awesome the truck that I'm talking about is the 85 n my sig..thanks

haubert

Reaction score
I have a 93 crew cab with aftermarket bucket seats front and back, I use a car seat that also has the snaps to secure to a steel lope on the seatbelt mounts, you can pickup from a junk yard, be sure to measure properly the first set I bought were to long and put the latch in the babies back, if you tried to use a 3 point you would have to fabricate pillar for strenghth, you can't just run a screw in and expect it not to pull out, its well worth the effort to do what you can to keep the little one safe,

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful when you bolt stuff to the floor, aftermarket seats, and any type of add-on tie-downs or belts. If you study the factory setup, the floor is re-enforced and has a strong brace in the floor where the factory seat mounts. It's also re-enforced where the seat belts attach. Aftermarket seats or belts need extra re-enforcment also, large washers on the sheetmetal is not enough in my opinion.

Alan Slingsby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'd hate to lose strength n what's there,I like the idea of the cable thing it seams best as of right now. But the best idea would be to ask the local law or ambulance center for the rules and what not:dunno..perhaps the wife can do that or I will next week end! Thanks Haubert and franklin 2 for you're 2cents!

stuborn nut

Reaction score
I added 3 point belt to my 86 cc. I used belts out of 85 standard cab works great for passengers no work for car seats. Like wife's car if you pull the belt all the way out they ratchet back in and will tighten up the car seat nice. The front pickup belts I used don't. Oh yeah there was threaded holes in the pillar and a second set of holes in the floor with plugs in them. So shoulder belts were a bolt in show for a 86. I also spoke with the local law and they told me lots of ways not to do it but were reluctant to mention how to modify the restraints. Good luck hope you find what your looking for. Does anybody know when they started putting anchors in the rear seats of cc's??

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
I need to figure out something for this. We have a little one on the way and I still have the stock belts in my 87' CC. Does anyone make a ratcheting lock style lap belt?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to figure out something for this. We have a little one on the way and I still have the stock belts in my 87' CC. Does anyone make a ratcheting lock style lap belt?
They make a clip for non locking seat belts to make them work with car seats. Last time I went to Babies r us they had a whole drawer full and give them away free if you ask.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Awesome! Might have to send the wife down there. Now loading a kid in a lifted truck without steps may pose another difficulty...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just carry a step stool in the bed. Uncle carried a milk crate to load my aunt up into his truck (which really wasn't lifted it just had a larger tire than stock). She was only about 4'10" though.