Cant get new block heater in!!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was replacing my old block heater (started leaking as soon as i touched it with the screwdriver..might have let go this winter)
anyway, the new style (it is an OEM heater) has a differen style 1 piece wing nut..but there is no way the fugger is going in. Its as though the screw is too short, the block is too thick or the wing nut is too wide. Anyone put one of these newer style heaters in?! just wasted 2 hours of my life on this thing.

actually, upon looking at them side by side, there are some differences with it besides the plug style, the heating element is shorter, the oring is thinner but same depth as the old one. I bougth the ne wone off the uhaul website. I tink im just going to order a new OEM style block heater hwich I though i was getting originally..ugh, more time wasted. THe ones one napa website all look crummy and small..

Im considering robbing the O rings from thhe new one and putting them on the old one..and jsut buygin a new cord..

You must be registered for see images attach

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I got one from NAPA and fought the same type of fitment issues. The element was hitting the cylinder walls no matter how I positioned it. Just not enough room to get it in and able to tighten. I slightly bent the element then went to snug it up and the wing nut stripped... Thin stamped piece vs older thick style that was in there. I returned it and said it was very wrong fit for the application.

I think I used the old one and just put a new oring on it and slathered some ThreeBond around where it seals. My issue was leaking. Have never used my block heater though around 0* it takes longer to start but we don't even get that low every year here. Just needed to plug a hole.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came up with an idea, used the old 2 puece rear wing nut on the new assembly which has the new o ring on bolt and the body housing. Now it should pop in. Will try in the morning, annd put the new rad in, fill with coant and observe for leaks. Cleaned the hell out of the o ring groove

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These are a very poor design and you do not have the same heater you pilled out. I feel your idea of using parts off the old one to make the new one fit will do the job. You might measure the width of the metal wings and see if they are longer on the new one. I suspect they are. Also probably mismarked for the idi engines and a better fit on the power stroke engines. Seems how things go sometimes.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
The one I got from OReillys was EXACTLY what I pulled out. OEM? Dunno. But it fit perfect and took 5 minutes to install. I researched brands a fair amount too before purchasing. "ZeroStart" as the brand if I can recall....

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zerostart is a reputable brand in this arena. They also make those wraparound battery warmers and the like.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wraparoudn battery warmer you say..Hmm woudl be nice to tie that into all 1 plug so when you knwo it will be a deep freeze, plug it into 1 outlet and feel warm and fuzzy.

Yes the wing is infact a little wider on the new one, as well as a different style, it is straigth vs the angled one.

found this zero start one, this does look exactly like the OEM one.
Well see how the current one i installed does when there is pressur ein the system. No leaks, then im ok with that. I hardly use the block heater, but I do want it to work when it comes time!.

Nice thing is its easy to acess it for me, i just pull the passenger front wheel off and can put a wrench on the block drain and block heater ez.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine and I ******* more about it than actually working on it.

Could not believe it did not leak 1st try.

It was a 1000watt heater that came out and a 600watt is the new one in it now.

Wont start my truck on a cold engine anymore, even putting block heaters in the gas

engines too.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wraparoudn battery warmer you say..Hmm woudl be nice to tie that into all 1 plug so when you knwo it will be a deep freeze, plug it into 1 outlet and feel warm and fuzzy.
I got a $20 onboard charger from HF instead. (but it doesn't get too cold here) I'm going to install a 30A power inlet on my bumper. Circulating tank heater (2000w) plus oil pan and trans pan heaters and onboard charger. All very cheap. Toggle switches will let me choose between 500w or 3000w depending on how cold it gets and how quick I want it warm.

I might fix my factory block heater too. You guys make it sound too easy. I also have a small aux. electric water pump to circulate water for the block heater, it also allows me to preheat the cab without starting along with the battery charger.

Wont start my truck on a cold engine anymore, even putting block heaters in the gas
engines too.
I totally agree. They save SO much fuel and engine wear. I use it even in the summer.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the Kats one from NAPA. It wouldn't fit without bending the element, so I returned it and got the Zerostart from O'Riellys. It looks like oem and went in without a problem.