can't figure out the name of the part...

BigNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stealership is being a doink.... won't give me a part # or anything till i pay $300 for it.... I am trying to find on the net the in-tank Electronic Fuel Pump for my front tank, most likely going to get one for the rear while I am at it.

I am back to my tank size issue again though, my brother swears there is no way my tanks are 19/17 (like someone on here told me), and they are more likely 16/13....

If I drop the tank, is there any way to definitively determine the tank sizes? Are there markings or anything? Starting to bug me... :(

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's an in-tank pump...just sending unit. I was told 19/17 as well but maybe someone else knows.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 92 fuel tanks are 19/17 with NO intank pumps. If you have a lift pump (fuel pump) on the engine front lower passengers side, then you do not have a pump in either tank. There is a possibility someone has installed an electric pump mounted on the frame after the selector valve.

Pretty certain the 93's are the same. Just what is your problem?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My tanks are 19/19
Mine too, and AFAIK all IDI F-series trucks are that way. Now, the E-series vans are different...the forward tank's 18 gallons and the aft tank's 20 gallons. But, on an F-series pickup, the forward and aft tanks are both 19 gallons unless someone swapped in a forward tank out of a SWB F-150..

And, as others have said, there's no in-tank pump on our trucks...460 trucks (and possibly a few other g@$ models; I'm not sure) had in-tank pumps, but the IDI's only have pumps at the engine. IIRC an in-tank pump puts out far more pressure than an IDI can handle (any more than 5 to 7 psi of fuel pressure and the IP timing gets messed up, and you can get failed seals in the IP also)...you MIGHT be able to convert to an in-tank pump if you also put in a regulator, but I tend to think it's more trouble than it's worth...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
According to the owners manual in my 90, 91, 92, and 93, any F-series with 133" or larger wheel base had a 19.2 rear and a 20.8 front. If you want I can dig up the two of those manuals (sold the 90 and the 93 and sent the manuals with them) and post pictures of that specific page.

On Edit: if you're not sure then get out a tape measure, figure for every cubic foot you have 7.5 gallons and that will get you close enough.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
Your not going to find a intank pump on the net for a idi and whatever the dealership is trying to sell you is not what you need. If they will not give you a part # forget them they IMO are trying to take your hard earned cash.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the dealers are real idiots on these trucks. All they ever look to is the gassers and just stop there, the parts guy I used in the past said you really have to look at the fine print to find diesel parts and most of them never made it to the microfiche.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
As far as I know they are either 19/21 gallon tanks.

The only thing You have on the tank is the sending unit NO Fuel pump of any kind for diesels.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the owners manual in my 90, 91, 92, and 93, any F-series with 133" or larger wheel base had a 19.2 rear and a 20.8 front. If you want I can dig up the two of those manuals (sold the 90 and the 93 and sent the manuals with them) and post pictures of that specific page.
My 1984 owner's manual shows all SWB trucks as having a 16.5 gallon (13.7 Imperial gallons, 62 litres) forward tank and a 19.0 gallon (15.8 Imp gal, 72 litre) aft tank, and all LWB trucks as having a 19.0 gallon forward tank and a 19.0 gallon aft tank. It also shows what appears to be a single 20.0 gallon tank offered on cab/chassis trucks, although it's a bit vague on that. Info came from pp 155-7 (I can scan it in, although not ready to do it at the moment).

And, if that isn't enough, I also checked the shop manual...from the 1984 Truck Shop Manual - Engine, p. 25-50-22, and it's saying the same thing that the owner's manual states. Again, I can scan this page in later if needed.

I can't explain why the later owner's manuals that you have are stating different capacities, because I sincerely doubt that Ford substantially redesigned the fuel tanks (although I know the sending unit holes were changed between '86 and '87)...but I wasn't pulling numbers out of thin air either. :) Also, I don't think simply measuring the outsides of the tanks is going to get you too much, since the tanks are anything but square (unless you take the time to measure every dimension at every point). Measuring and figuring it out mathematically may get you close on the aft tank, but the forward tank's got so many nooks and crannies that it would be VERY difficult to figure out mathematically...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i know in the gasser world, most reg cab LWB trucks came with 19 (18, 19, 20, whatever) except trucks with the E4OD which came with a 16 gal tank due to trans size limiting tank space. IIRC all ext cab trucks were 18/19.