can the IP metering valve get stuck due to heat?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this question is actually about my 6.2 van but it has the exact same injection pump so i am hoping someone can help. Plus if it happened on my van it can and will happen on my 7.3 idi so it's not that far off topic.

anyway, pump was rebuilt 1 year ago. It starts and runs perfect in all temp ranges - starts when the engine is 5 F and 210 F and all ranges in between, both diesel and wvo, never a single problem till a few weeks ago.
i have had this problem twice now, both times it was a day or two after i was hauling a heavy load up and down hills all day in hot weather (but engine was not overheating at all) with wvo fuel temps above 180 F at the pump. Purged with diesel completely, shut down and let cool totally, then the next day it cranks but will not start. Has 10 volts at solenoid, all glow plugs working, plenty of fuel at IP inlet but when i cracked an injector there was no fuel.
the first time this happened i only had this condition for one good crank - then a few minutes later i tried again and it started and ran perfect.
the second time, however, it would not start until i gave it a shot of ether, then every time after that it has started as normal.

as i mentioned before, the engine was cold when this happened so it is not the worn head that causes a no-start-when-hot.

all indications are that something in the pump blocked the fuel supply - and i could hear the solenoid clicking so i do not think that was it.

i have dealt with every no-start problem imaginable and eventually figured them all out but this one remains a mystery - and the only possible guess i can make is that the metering valve got stuck in the closed position. Is there any possibility this could have happened?
sorry for being a little off topic here - but i know there are people here who know lots and lots about these pumps. Any ideas appreciated!

thanks,
Paul

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it isn't the dreaded swollen hydraulic head problem. Time will tell. Thats usually from a substandard rebuild or on a pump thats pretty well worn out.

sassyrel

Reaction score
only 10v to the solenoid?? thats right on the verge of it not working--trace the problem, should be at batt voltage. the wvo should keep the inside of the pump very clean----wonder if the solenoid inside the pump is going intermittent???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moose Pumps are tested down to 7 volts, so I know that solenoid should run at 10. If it starts on either, then why would it be the metering valve?