Can I fill my 1356 through the speedo drive hole?

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fill plug is mangled to the point where its never coming out again. If I pour the fluid into the speedometer hole real slow, will it get into the rest of the tcase? I remember seeing 3 extra holes in the case where the tail housing bolts on.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or weld a nut to the mangaled plug....

your in for a suprise if you try that... any truck ive had with a 1356 has an aluminum plug on the fill and drain. ask me how i know. i stripped the one out on the bronco and thought i'd weld a nut on it and couldnt get the weld to stick, then i noticed my magnet wouldnt either:oops: i managed to catch it with a small chisel and work it out. My crew cab i had to drill it and use an extarctor (a cheap torx bit and a hammer will also work). They are just a regular 1/2 NPT plug

Mike-M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drill out the plug, then run a extractor.
That was plan B. I thought real hard about it, and decided to pour half a quart in the speedo hole and see what happens. Turns out it worked out perfectly. In fact, from now on im gonna fill it through the speedo hole. It allows you to hold the funnel vertically, which is pretty awesome.

someone must have swapped the 2 I had, both had steel plugs in them....
my oem '90 F250 case had both steel. The case I put in is from an F350 and has both aluminum. No clue what year its from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US