Camshaft

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will when it gets here. I still have trouble with the camera focus so I can not promise anything. All of my lifter and cam pix were blury. It should be here this week...with the new lifters.

SWS

I used to have issues with camera focusing too, then I realized the camera was being held waaaay too close. It will look in focus on the view finder, but pictures were crap. Try at least 5 feet of distance.

If your camera is at least 4 or 5 MP, there will be plenty of detail - just crop the area you want to show, don't shrink the whole file to get it smaller in size.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best i have

Attachments

• GEDC0032.jpg
    GEDC0032.jpg
    984 KB · Views: 95
  • GEDC0031.jpg
    GEDC0031.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 78

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just pulled the cam out of my junk motor, and i plan on pulling the motor one more time this summer to finalize everything and when I do that I will have already sent the cam off so i can pop it in there. I cant wait to see the difference.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most digital cameras should havea "macro" setting. That is used for close ups on smaller objects.

I think I can see what towcat was talking about though. I can see a fairly wide lobe in one of those photos. Wish I remember what the stock cam looked like but I'm picturing a much more pointed duration there.

I'm thinking this could end up being an upgrade for next winter.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I used to have issues with camera focusing too, then I realized the camera was being held waaaay too close. It will look in focus on the view finder, but pictures were crap. Try at least 5 feet of distance.

If your camera is at least 4 or 5 MP, there will be plenty of detail - just crop the area you want to show, don't shrink the whole file to get it smaller in size.

Something something too close. Something something better at 5+ feet. Something something crop something shrinks into a hole after it gets smaller.

Yeah, not a cumpewter guy.

I will have the wife do it and it will be good...She is the best. Done cooked me some fish tonight.

SWS

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most digital cameras should havea "macro" setting. That is used for close ups on smaller objects.

I think I can see what towcat was talking about though. I can see a fairly wide lobe in one of those photos. Wish I remember what the stock cam looked like but I'm picturing a much more pointed duration there.

I'm thinking this could end up being an upgrade for next winter.
it's very obvious when you put them side-by-side.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in a camshaft for my truck. I think the cylinder heads breath pretty well but the lift on the stock cam is too low. I am looking forward to a report on how the cam works in a 6.9 with a turbo.

Good thread going here!

Last edited:

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Alright. Got some pix of side by side cams tonight. Just think. I have the tools and the ability to take the cam and get the specs and build one the exact same....but do not have a press to yank the front lobes and fuel pump accessories.

Speaking of...I can figure out how to pull the eccentric off, but how do I put it back onto the camshaft. Is the front bearing lobe strong enough to hold the pressure of...pressing the eccentric onto the shaft?

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I pulled the lobes and retainer off of the shaft. The second I put them back on, I could see that the fuel pump eccentric was past the wodruff key entirely. I pressed it back down to where it is bairly being blocked by the key and I noticed that there appears to be excess distance between the retainer and the bearing journal. What is the spec on this? I checked the Chiltons manual and it says to check for cam endplay...but does not give a spec for it.

Is there a way to measure it prior to installation or do you have to install it, check it, measure it, pull it, adjust it, and reinstall it?

Can anyone chime in on this?

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Hard to see in the pics, but I can see a difference in the duration when they are side by side.

SWS

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
BTW, I can not get hold of Russ and I don't know where to send the core cam. Anyone have insite on this?

SWS

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
BTW, I can not get hold of Russ and I don't know where to send the core cam. Anyone have insite on this?

SWS

i been trying to get ahold of him too, i got to make a payment to him and i need to find out what i need to do to get a cam

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I believe he's working away from home, not sure though, maybe he'll be in for the weekend.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not anywhere near a computer during the week. Next weekend is the swap meet so I wont be around then . I cant find a spec on the spacer to cam clearance, the eccentric has to be on the right way or it wont seat up right IIRC. I will check back in a while to see how it goes or with more info, I have one here I can measure.I think

Just got back from the urgent care with another ******* infection in my leg.-cuss
More antibiotics and long pants .