Camper Shell Removal

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Picked up an older Leer camper shell for my 84' the other day for a song and a dance. It's probably about 300lbs. I was able to get it on with one other guy helping me. I'm interested in figuring out a way to be able to get it on and off by myself - like struts that I can jack it up on and drive out from under it.

I've considered an overhead sling - but my garage door isn't tall enough to pull in with the truck.

Any one have any favorite products or know some thing I can use (outside of a gantry crane)?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I just back the truck up to my back deck and heft it up on my back and walk it on and off on a non windy day tho. From there I can walk it over to a set of blocks to keep it up off the ground. Of course I only do that 2 times a year tho. Summer off, winter on.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I had one that I used to load and unload by myself, but I have determined that I am stupid.

Maybe buy 4 of those old fashioned bumperjacks and modify them so they're tall enough?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I use a set of ramps (for loading atv in bed) but put them on the side of the bed rails then slid the cap up the ramps.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just back the truck up to my back deck and heft it up on my back and walk it on and off on a non windy day tho. From there I can walk it over to a set of blocks to keep it up off the ground. Of course I only do that 2 times a year tho. Summer off, winter on.

Thats what I do. As long as you can walk off the truck its not bad. you could also put 4 posts in the ground such that you would just back in between them, get in the bed with a couple of 2x4s long enough to span from post to post and then lift it with your back and set the 2x4s underneath the camper. Then you would just drive out from under it.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I do. As long as you can walk off the truck its not bad. you could also put 4 posts in the ground such that you would just back in between them, get in the bed with a couple of 2x4s long enough to span from post to post and then lift it with your back and set the 2x4s underneath the camper. Then you would just drive out from under it.

I used to have a setup like that. I did both expedite work and snow plowing and had to remove the topper every time I plowed. As long as you can keep the cap at the right height taking it on and off is relatively easy.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can put soem eyelets in your garage ceiling, this can be done easily and cheaply with a set of cargo straps and a couple of 2x4s. I have two brackets on the top of mine which makes it even easier, I just hook four tie down straps (like $3 just about anywhere) to the corners of the roof rack and raise it three or four inches.

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
i had a carport..... just mounted a hoist or pulley on the front of the canopy and one at the rear.... i ran a rope under the bottom of the cap and just hoisted it up and tied it off on the posts and called her good.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Gettin it off is real easy. Unhook the clamps, throw it in reverse, floor it, then hit the brakes. Figuring out how to get it(what's left) back on after that is the hard part LOL

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set 4 posts in the barnlot that I can back between. They are higher than the bed by 3 or 4" and have a 2x6 on each side.

I unclamp the lid, lift enough to slide a 2x4 across under it one end at a tme, and then drive out. If you have room this is pretty easy.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Well I took some old cedar 4x4's and some scrap 8' 2x4's and built a stand to drive up beside, stood in the bed and lifted the damned thing with my back to get it on the skids, took some old rotella and greased the boards and slipped that suckah off!

Ha! No need for a gantry crane now.