Cab Light Wiring

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read many posts on wiring up the cab or clearance lights on pre-1997 F-series pickups and they all make mention of the factory 12V plug being in one of the kick panels. However, now that I’m trying to find it on my 1991, I don’t see it anywhere. I’ve searched this site and others and I’ve read that I’m looking for a brown wire on the drivers side but I don’t see any brown wires or unused connectors at all. Could somebody clear this up for me? Pics would be great. Thanks!

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my 88 I just tapped into a running light wire under the hood and ran the wire up the pillar. Not sure if all the trucks were pre-wired for cab lights.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told a similar thing about cab light plug in would just be in the kick panel on my driver side, I found a 88 service truck with cab lights stole the factory harness and never did install, i did search for the other end briefly in my truck that's also a 88 and couldn't find the plug in my truck. Could be tucked away somewhere still I suppose but it defiantly was not on the spot where the truck had Its wiring and plug I pulled from the truck that had them factory

jcdillin

Reaction score
My 90 250 has it on the driver's side, it's the bottom-most connector and it has a black and a brown wire. I've read that some trucks also installed it on the passenger side. My truck did not come with cab lights.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be on the passenger side. 91 and older trucks have different colored wires and and different style plugs than a 92 and newer but its very similar. Rob a harness off another truck your body style and hook it up like factory

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'91 and earlier was on the driver side as described in post 4. If I remember correctly the connector is brown or black in color. '92 and later is on the passenger side in a similar location but the connector is different and it's gray. Wiring colors may changed slightly over the years but connector pins were the same so you can unpin a harness from a 92 connector and use the harness in a 91 and earlier. I did this on my 91 and I do remember struggling to find the correct connector on the driver side kick panel but it was there.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I was told a similar thing about cab light plug in would just be in the kick panel on my driver side, I found a 88 service truck with cab lights stole the factory harness and never did install, i did search for the other end briefly in my truck that's also a 88 and couldn't find the plug in my truck. Could be tucked away somewhere still I suppose but it defiantly was not on the spot where the truck had Its wiring and plug I pulled from the truck that had them factory
What do you plan on doing with the harness? I have a 87 250 I'm trying to install the lights on.