Cab and Chassis rear tank? And, major renovations of the vehicular kind.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched, but, I couldn't find anything.
Is anyone running the big(38 gal?) C&C rear tank on their truck? I have access to one off of a 93 right now(we're parting the truck out), and it's plastic to boot, and my rear tank is all but useless...
I didn't have time to look too close at the tail end of the truck, and it has a big honking deck on it, so, I didn't look very close at that tank...
We've been busy the last couple days, yanked it's cab and clip(cab is for my diesel, fenders were mangled as are the doors,) ZF and t-case(bound for my buddy Stephane's 86.) Got Steph's cab ready to pull last night, I fixed my rear end this morning(broke the pinion yoke...) then we went and got his new cab and my new box, and yanked his cab tonite.
The 93:
You must be registered for see images

I'm debating if I'm going to use the 93 dash, or stick with the 80-86 dash, will see once we get the dash yanked out of Stephane's old cab and are able to compare the mounting to his new 94 cab.

Progress as of tonite on Steph's truck:

Unfortunatley the good full power doors and the captains chairs are gone from Steph's new cab(they now reside on my buddy John's 88 Crew,) but, it does have the doors from the old cab off of my truck that are basicly junk bolted to it... LOL
His existing cab, while the exterior was good and solid, whoever fixed the exterior properly just fiberglassed up the floor, we patched it up last winter to get him through plowing season(whole cab fell down around the DS mount under the pedals) but, there was no fixing it.
Hopefully tomorrow we can get the drivetrain swapped, and maybe even the D60 under the nose. Maybe by the end of the day we might be able to get the cab on.

Oh, and FWIW, if anyone somewhat local to me is looking for a 7.3, the one from the 93 has 60K miles on it, Steph had it running, glows are not working, and he couldn't get the batterys to take much of a charge, so he pull started it, and drove it around for about half an hour, ran great, started extremely well, no bad noises, good oil pressure, so on and soforth, I started tearing it down before I thought about seeing it running for myself... LOL. Coolant was nice and clean, SCA's were good.
I may snag it, but, I plan on going CTD if/when the 6.9 dies. If I end up using the 93 dash and wiring, I will be using it's serpentine belt setup though.

Last edited:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeppers looking at one a couple of weeks ago up to Darrins on one of the parts ventures I've noticed that the C/C rear tanks do set tucked up under the truck higher than the standard bed style.

Not to say that either modding some straps and a couple of lowering blocks couldn't make it work. It did look doable.;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
evidently different year cab and chassis have different tank combos. Do these C&C have dual tanks or just the one back one? My C&C is a 96 and its not a reguler back tank but its only 19 gallon

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting, any of the 92-96 C&C's I've paid attention to that had dual tanks had a standard pickup 19 gallon front tank, and the big honker in the rear.
Good to hear that it looks doable... With my body lift, I might be able to bring it up higher than normal and not lose as much clearance to boot.
I still have yet to take a good look under the rear of that 93, we've been putting in some looooong Days on Steph's truck.
Yesterday, we got the transmissions swapped, changed the broken pass side engine mount(had to yank the 7.3 from the 93 chassis to get the parts,) and the piece that goes between it and the block, which was also broken... Changed out the rear cab mount crossmember, tidied up wiring and fuel lines, got both cabs stripped out, and generally worked our ***** off.
We cheated lots tho...
Easiest transmission swap ever:

Tonight, we got the new cab on, got the doors on, got the 86, non a/c heater installed(I tried to talk him into using the a/c one from hi 86 parts truck to make life easier, but, there was no hearing of that...) and started installing the dash.

Yes, you're not seeing things, that is an 80-86 pedal assembly in a 92+ cab, you can see the bracket we had to swap over from the old cab. We may have to add one more bracket from the old cab, and we will have to do some modifying on the drivers side due to a difference in the shape of the bottom of the pillar, but, nothing insurmountable or extremely complicated.

And for good measure, a before pic:

You can see the reason for the cab change if you follow the body line... Cab was completley toast, it stemmed from having had a floor repair done with fiberglass done some years back, which did nothing to add structure to the comprimised cab. Last winter(first winter plowing) it turned into a major disaster, the floor and firewall collapsed and split around the mount, and while we did do a patch job on it, there was no good way to fix it due to the extent of the damage.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great pictures! yea, you guys are spoiled with that large strong set of fingers you got there! LOL

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh, Steph operates that machine pretty much daily, and his boss is a very easy going guy, it was no problem at all for us to borrow it for the weekend. We both saw no point in using anything else... LOL

I forgot my camera tonite, we yanked the core support form his 86 parts truck(his was toast, and he had the short/wide rad) installed that and the rad from the 93, got the pass side fender installed and that side of the truck aligned. Installed the booster and master from the 93, made up new lines, etc, and got the steering column hung to check fitment. Basicly; tomorrow, it's going to be hang the dash, install the DS fender and the hood, finish up the wiring, check the fluids, bolt in a seat and take it for a drive.
Then decide if we can pull off swapping both diffs before the weekend and have time for final prep on my 460 truck for the mud bogs this weekend...

Oh, and that 500 gal on the back of the 93, that is a diesel tank, UN 1202 = Gas Oil, or Diesel Fuel, or Heating Oil, Light, flash point above 61* Celsius and not more than 100* C. Gasoline is 1203.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my 1985 cab-chassis came factory with two tanks, a front STEEL tank that holds around twenty gallons, and a rear PLASTIC tank that also holds around twenty gallons.

Some have argued that the rear should have been a steel tank, also; but, my plastic tank came in the truck when new.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how hard was it to put the newer style dash in an older truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online