f350 cab and chassis Ujoints

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need ujoints again. Have the choice between spicer and moog. Replaced all three on the driveshaft 2 years ago and they're starting to squeak again. My work truck, use every day. 92 F350 cab and chassis, zf5.
Any suggestions. Thanks. Mike

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the quality on moog parts has been terrible for about the last 10 years. I don't know how the quality on Spicer is anymore, they were original equipment and usually lasted a long time.

James

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I only buy greasable, and cost is a factor. GMB lately (made in japan), moog otherwise.

Actually greasing regularly is the key, proved that to myself over the last 25 years.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only buy greasable, and cost is a factor. GMB lately (made in japan), moog otherwise.

Actually greasing regularly is the key, proved that to myself over the last 25 years.
I did buy these moogs, they had a threaded opening for a grease fittings but the threaded opening was too small for a standard grease fitting and they came with this weird fitting. But I agree, regular greasing makes them last longer. I had an idea of pulling off all the caps, washing the yoke clean with safety clean, then tapping the opening and re-threading to the proper thread size and screwing in a standard fitting but was in a hurry. I won't be in a hurry this time. Thanks for the reply.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the quality on moog parts has been terrible for about the last 10 years. I don't know how the quality on Spicer is anymore, they were original equipment and usually lasted a long time.

James
I am leaning on spicer though. I may check out GMB's, never heard of them.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMB has been around for a long time, remember them back in late 80`s or early 90.
I used Spiced on the 86, think it was last summer I replaced them.
X2 on greasing them for longivity, along with Ball Joints and or King Pins. Especially in the winter time.

Goat

ihc1470

Reaction score
You may not be able to drill a cross as I believe they are harden. Was it a fitting that had a ball in the end and screw driver slot to screw into the cross? If so those take a needle fitting to grease.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I did buy these moogs, they had a threaded opening for a grease fittings but the threaded opening was too small for a standard grease fitting and they came with this weird fitting.
So did you just leave the hole open and not grease them? I wonder why they failed then :idiot:
Sometimes getting them to actually thread in is a challenge, I always try to do it on the bench first before installing u joints. The assembly grease they come with isn't enough to last a long time without getting greased after install.

Last edited:

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may not be able to drill a cross as I believe they are harden. Was it a fitting that had a ball in the end and screw driver slot to screw into the cross? If so those take a needle fitting to grease.
No, it didn't have a slot, and yes, it takes a needle to grease them. It was hexagonal like a regular grease fitting.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you just leave the hole open and not grease them? I wonder why they failed then :idiot:
Sometimes getting them to actually thread in is a challenge, I always try to do it on the bench first before installing u joints. The assembly grease they come with isn't enough to last a long time without getting greased after install.
No, I didn't leave the hole open. And yes, I did pack them with Shell grease. The same grease I use in aviation applications. It's called Aeroshell 7.

Last edited:

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I have Torque King bookmarked from awhile back. They sell differential parts also I believe. Pretty intensive website if I remember. I just got home from work. think I will take a look again at their website.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When I had my driveline built, the driveline shop said that greaseable u joints have to be re-greaaed at regular intervals, whereas the construction of service free u joints prevents loss of the grease that is inside them. Either get a service free one, or get that zerk to thread in.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my driveline built, the driveline shop said that greaseable u joints have to be re-greaaed at regular intervals, whereas the construction of service free u joints prevents loss of the grease that is inside them. Either get a service free one, or get that zerk to thread in.
Well, I don't have a needle grease fitting and as IHC1470 mentioned, that may be a hardened cross, I don't know, I thought they were cast. The problem is they were not greased at regular intervals. The next 3 I buy will have the regular grease fitting and not the smaller one. I was surprised to see that small fitting. Happy Thanksgiving.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While on the topic anyone have grease interval recommendations? Have started to use greaseless u-joints on mine but should probably re-grease what hasn't been replaced