C6 tranny.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanna tell you those C6 trannies are one tough SOB's. It's on my 84 MH but a lot of them are on the earlier diesel's. With 93K on it, finally decided to change the fluid in it, had it for 10 yrs. now but havent driven it much, only short distances except one trip to Texas in the winter when it was -7 to start out four years ago.

Anyhow don't think the fluid has ever been changed but once since there was 1/4" bolts in 4 of the bolt holes , they must have lost 4 of the 3/8" bolts. The fluid was the color of an African with a Suntan, sludge 3/8" in the bottom with little speck's of brass (gold), the pickup screen had maybe 50-60 tiny steel shavings on the suction side, even maybe 75 -100 steel shavings on top of the screen. Simple amazing that it shifted smooth and didn't run hot at all. It's hooked to a 460, and the MH weighs 11400 unloaded. Now if the E4OD was just that good, wouldn't we all, or us that have them be happier then a Pig in Poop. No, I'm not going to overhaul it! Just wanted to express just how tough they are. No, I didn't drain the TC.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Wanna tell you those C6 trannies are one tough SOB's. It's on my 84 MH but a lot of them are on the earlier diesel's. With 93K on it, finally decided to change the fluid in it, had it for 10 yrs. now but havent driven it much, only short distances except one trip to Texas in the winter when it was -7 to start out four years ago.

Anyhow don't think the fluid has ever been changed but once since there was 1/4" bolts in 4 of the bolt holes , they must have lost 4 of the 3/8" bolts. The fluid was the color of an African with a Suntan, sludge 3/8" in the bottom with little speck's of brass (gold), the pickup screen had maybe 50-60 tiny steel shavings on the suction side, even maybe 75 -100 steel shavings on top of the screen. Simple amazing that it shifted smooth and didn't run hot at all. It's hooked to a 460, and the MH weighs 11400 unloaded. Now if the E4OD was just that good, wouldn't we all, or us that have them be happier then a Pig in Poop. No, I'm not going to overhaul it! Just wanted to express just how tough they are. No, I didn't drain the TC.

should drain the tq..thats were near all of the oil is..and depending on th age of the mh,,it should have a drain plug in it..theres another way,,if no drain plug................

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I went though mine as it shifted waaay to soft for me. But i found out it had some SERIOUS miles... As in over 300K

Now if only the E4OD was as tough as them or the 4R70W. I get them in limo/taxi's with no issue with 300+ too.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I worked for a company that had mostly C6 equipt Fords with a couple chevies and doggie dodge vans, all but one had 460s got oil changed every time hell froze over and were beaten on by employees who would do everything within their power to break the trucks so they could complain about something...their own doing, those transmissions do take a beating in stride!

85_IDI_4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i understand a c6 will run till the world stops spinning as long as you keep them cool. Get them hot and ****** there she goes

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Put a huge honkin' cooler and an external filter on the thing and fill it with synthetic fluid and just imagine how long it would last!;Sweet

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, Ford had to meet government mileage standards. That's why they got rid of the c6 and also the famous 9 inch rearend.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The C6 in my 87 6.9L MH has 158k "towing miles" as it does weigh 12k lbs empty and it's still going great on the original build!

Infact, been going great for all these years without an Aux. cooler! I just added one in series earlier this year!

When we bought the camper 11 years ago, it had 76k on it, and I flushed the trans. first thing, and dropping the pan, I found the factory plastic plug in the pan! That tranny had never been serviced before!

Since then i've been flushing it every single year, and dropping the pan every 2-3 years.

As after every long trip, the oil would get darkish red/brown.

But now this year with the new in series aux. cooler, even after our Florida trip in 100+*F weather, oil still nice and clean/clear red in color!

I never drained the TC on mine, what I do is I flush it with the cooler lines disconnected, and with the engine running, dump new oil in, as the old one coming out ending up in a bucket. When the oil coming out is as clean as the new oil going in, I stop the engine, reconnect everything, check level, go for a ride, and re-check and done! :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put a huge honkin' cooler and an external filter on the thing and fill it with synthetic fluid and just imagine how long it would last!;Sweet

Got all of those except the synthectic fluid. It appears that the cooler and filter was factory installed, there is steel lines going to and from the cooler. Being in the RV service business for 15 yrs. 1989 to 2004, never ever did anyone complain about a C6 tranny. I bought this 84 from a Good Sam camper friends Widow, she brought it in to fix the couch before selling it, I offered and she honered the offer..

No, I wasn't offer and honer all night.:D

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My white 85 had a C6 with 285,000 miles on it before it overheated in the mountains a few years ago. It puked out a couple of quarts of fluid and started slipping in second until I got to a store for more ATF. Two and a half quarts later, it was ready to drag a loaded car trailer 450 miles home and never complained again. I miss that truck.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Just towed both my D2 Caterpillar dozers with the old c6. Rebuilt it this spring along with the tranfer case. Have Amsoil fluid and an auxiliary, tube and fin cooler in series with radiator cooler. 32 degrees F out, pulling out of the Okanogan Valley from roughly 1260 feet above sea level to 4,310 within 20 miles. Had to stop...temps were up to 260 degrees and climbing. I have a new Derale, stacked plate cooler with fan I'm putting in. Just can't seem to get rid of the heat with heavy loads. Everywhere I go in my country is straight up, with passes on both sides. Come to think of it, it seems like I'm going uphill both ways some days. Anyway, it runs too cool when I'm not loaded, but in the summer with a load, I'm stopping fairly often to cool her down. I have a TCI guage mounted in the reservoir, and an oversize, TCI reservoir pan on it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I used to race 1/4mile with a galaxie 500 with a 390 and a C6 and a 9 inch. Motor put out 410hp and other than a shift kit, nothing was done to upgrade the trans. I flushed it and used Valvoline Max Life fluid and hit the track. Sold it a while ago and it still hits the track a couple times a years and as far as I know, its holding up.

Drove a 86 6.9 once with a C6, yeah it was tough but....the mileage just killed me...:puke: But for around town/bush driving it was just fine. Just tried to keep it off the highways for long hauls.