C6 puking fluid out the dipstick tube and slipping

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Update......

Well Sherman and I were poking around her hood this weekend and I said well if nothing else let's adjust the VRV... I started off by checking the lines to and from but didn't have to look far.... the VRV is broken - yep the bottom fitting was broken off but it broke in such a way that I could glue it back on. So Annie and hopped on the scoot and went to Wally World and picked up some super glue - came back cleaned up the mating surfaces and glued it together. Figured what do I have to lose it's broke anyways... So then took it for a drive - She shifts like a dream. Figure I'm just gonna drive her until the trans dies completely - it's already broke and I have Emergency Road Side assistance on all my vehicles so I'll just have them tow it home. I'm gonna keep my eyes open on for a C6 locally and when I find one I'll pick it up and rebuild it then when done I'll toss it in no matter if this one is dead or not. Then I'll rebuild again and might sell it or just hold on to it. A transmission sitting on the floor doesn't take up that much room.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice find Travis. Any idea why the vrv broke.. If you want another vrv just pm me an address and I will mail one to you. These are nice to have as a spare. I too would drive it till something happens but full well know it could let go any time too. Thats getting 110% out of it...:D

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Travis, I've got a 2 wheel drive C6 that's in need of a refresh. It'll make a good candidate for ya.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
really..... really..... hummm..... might be interested if the price is right.... txt me.... as you can imagine I ain't doing any thing like that before the rally....

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
really..... really..... hummm..... might be interested if the price is right.... txt me.... as you can imagine I ain't doing any thing like that before the rally....

Yup, it came out of the rolling ****. LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those VRV are hard to find, uhaul had a couple but there sold, ebay has two, one priced at $95 the other at $105. I have a used one, but sale pending on the TDC forum. Me thinks ya should change the fluid if it's burnt, saves a lot of work down the road.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
ok it's been almost a month since fixing the VRV. And she no longer pukes fluid out at any time. I'm thinking that the holding the shifts out were causing the problem. She drops into gear nice and crisp at idle, when she shifts she does so pretty well - would like to see a little crisper for my own tastes but not complaining - I don't tow anything and really don't have any plans at the moment to tow - she's just a big car per say.

So I don't know what to do about the tranny at this point. :dunno she isn't giving any signs of problems even when Jill drove it for on the interstate in 2nd gear and couldn't figure out why the truck wouldn't go any faster and couldn't keep up with traffic. :eek: She said she drove with her foot plastered on the floor for a couple three miles until she realized she had slid it down to 2nd instead of drive. :eek: Didn't hurt anything that I can see but the upside is we know the gov works on the injection pump. ;Sweet She said it was kind of cutting out when she was couldn't go any faster. which in her defense Drive is showing up on the dash marker half way between N and D which the time before it was showing up between D and 2 (I adjusted it but took it too far- still need to revisit that).

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Try adjusting the bands to help with your shifts. The cutting out I'm sure you know is fuel starvation. If you want an e-pump I really think the carter is a better pump on bull noses. Why, BC the water drain on the firewall. Its to high up to prime there. Even when bypassed the lines run up about half way on the firewall. I found a spot on the frame already to have the carter bracket mount. I heated the blue plastic between the selector valve and water drain.replaced it with rubber and wired my pump in.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There are several choices of C6 torque converters available. Glad the truck is running ok and no harm testing the governer either. What I have done when the gear selecter was broken on one of my trucks is feel the gears as I moved from park to reverse or drive. Counting the gear slots is an easy way to know what gear your in.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Try adjusting the bands to help with your shifts. The cutting out I'm sure you know is fuel starvation. If you want an e-pump I really think the carter is a better pump on bull noses. Why, BC the water drain on the firewall. Its to high up to prime there. Even when bypassed the lines run up about half way on the firewall. I found a spot on the frame already to have the carter bracket mount. I heated the blue plastic between the selector valve and water drain.replaced it with rubber and wired my pump in.

Nah not fuel starvation - it was fuel shut down - slapping the gov will do that - Jill was trying to run 70 mph in 2nd gear in a C6 - :lol

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear she's not spitting out ATF any more. Cant' wait to see that rig in person soon.;Sweet

Did you get the wiring diagrams yet?

Heath