C6 overfilled

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
But first a story.

As I now have a weather protected and heated area to work, and I'm working 2nd shift, I decided to tackle the trans and rear end swap on that damn truck.

First and easiest step is to unbolt the dipstick tube from the valve cover and yank it before climbing under. Bolt pulled easy, dipstick tube did not. This is strange as since as you know I have had my trans out numerous times and can drop the tube in while sneezing at the same time. So I grab a set of channel locks and tug, but still nothing.

Only thing to do is climb under and try it from below.

I get the channel locks on it and give it a slight twist and pry and it pops out easily.

Here's where I figured out that it was overfilled.

The atf which was up until now riding up the dipstick tube takes advantage of its newfound freedom to team up with gravity and hit paydirt directly in my left eye, which was strategically placed there by an imbecile. The before mentioned imbecile then jerks his head out of the stream which then places in order: the left nostril and then the open mouth into the stream before removing the head from the target zone. Note to imbecile: Close your mouth from now on.

So now I'm 10 minutes into this and I have had an atf bath.

Live and learn

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think that because it overflowed that the trans is overfull because if the engine is not running all the fluid drains back into the pan basically overfilling the pan.
This is why you check the level w/engine running in park position. Also if the check ball in the converter is sticking the converter can drain back.

Dennis

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taste good? I like diesel fuel better. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where is hades was the liquid beverage warning before clicking on the thread?-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss
I ave a keyboard to clean up now-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss-cuss

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Break fluid is my personal favorite... goes good with copenhagen. At least said "imbecile" didn't jerk head into framerail on the way out... That's usually what happens on my end of the world cookoo

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yeah antifreeze is a personal favorite. I was thinking that said forehead was gonna go straight into the radius arm bushing bracket.

On the brighter side, popcorn I hear does a pretty good job at removing atf residue.;Really

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Pretty Funny Barney! I was waiting to hear that you ****** your face out of the way and banged your head on the frame,..That is what I usually do,,

I decided to tackle the trans and rear end swap on that damn truck.

Shouldnt you be working on the other end,...:dunno :D

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil filter always gives me a bath. I keep forgetting to knock a hole in the bottom to drain it until I have already started to spin it off. After letting the oil run down the filter for a little and start to spin it off, as hard as I try I end up with oil running down my arm and then dropping it and always getting a bath from oil that splashes out of it.

Jim

Petes

Reaction score
...On the brighter side, popcorn I hear does a pretty good job at removing atf residue.;Really

So, now I've got this mental picture of poor Flatlander with popcorn stuffed up his nose to try to soak up the ATF that got up there.... Not pretty. Thanks for the laugh tho!

I thought I was the only one that fumbled oil filters into the bucket. Funny how slippery that oil stuff is, eh?